Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrate from Cisco ASA (Active/Standby) to Firepower - Best Practices

ravindra962
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I am about to migrate a Cisco ASA (Active Standby Cluster) to Firepower.

My ASA Cluster has L2L VPN Tunels (Policy based and Route Based) and Extended ACL's applied to different interfaces for Multiple Clients Traffic.

I am looking for Best Practices to do this migration so that it will have no impact on Production

Any Help here would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ravi

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Possibly the only thing I can thing of is the interfaces maybe different, so you'll have to investigate that.

Other than that you should be able to migrate the configuration. If you are using Pre-Shared Keys (PSK) then this is not displayed when you run "show run", so if you use the command "more system:running-config" this will display the PSK.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Hi,

Have a look at the Firepower Migration tool, this will assist in migrating from ASA to Firepower.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/security/firewalls/firepower-migration-tool.html

Beware FTD does NOT currently support route based VPNs, you can only use policy based.

HTH

When you say it doesn't support Route based VPN, do you mean the Migration Tool doesn't support the route based VPN or the firewall itself doesn't support route based VPN

The firewall (FTD) itself does not currently support route based VPNs, only policy based.

Is it Possible to Migrate the ASA code to Firepower without converting the ASA code to the Firepower code. Like a Cisco Firepower with ASA code

If you mean can you run ASA code on the Firepower hardware (1000, 2100, 4000 or 9300 series appliances) then yes you can run either ASA or FTD.

HTH

So if run the ASA code then that migration is pretty easy or is there any limitations for that as well? or any compatibility issues

If the existing firewall is an ASA HA pair then it should be a simple migration to the new ASA HA pair using the firepower hardware.

Thank you

This means there won't be any kind of configuration changes correct?

Possibly the only thing I can thing of is the interfaces maybe different, so you'll have to investigate that.

Other than that you should be able to migrate the configuration. If you are using Pre-Shared Keys (PSK) then this is not displayed when you run "show run", so if you use the command "more system:running-config" this will display the PSK.

The Physical Interface Code for ASA will be changed to FXOS code.

The rest will be the same

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card