cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Moving Cisco FMC OVF File from a Host ESXi V5.5 to another Host ESXi V6.

s.maxina1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All.

I Have a Cisco FMC V6.2.3 VM on an old Host with ESXi V5.5 and I want to Move this VM compeletly to another physical Host ESXi V6(make OVF and ...). is there any risk for this movement? what happen to Licenses and Policies

Best Regards

Sina HR.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Technically should not have any problem, since you moving the VM with same features and IP address.

suggested steps :

1. snapshot the vm, shutdown the VM

2. bring up the new environment VM and test all working as expected - if all good de-comm the old VM

3. if any issues, note the issue you have encountered - shutdown the VM

4. bring up the old VM on Esxi 5.5

make sure you take all backups, in case of any issues aorund.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

As mentioned on the other post, if you moving the VM what Same IP and MAC - it should not have the issue.

Just had simulated the same one of my Lab, Found some issue here as i observed.

1. When I moved the virtual machine these host servers have a different set of MAC addresses to assign the virtual NICs.

2. License key is the MAC address of the machine and when i moved the VM -  invalid the license.

The quick fix here: Shutdown the new VM / Bring up the new OLD VM and Test - all working as expected.

then Raise a TAC case or plan to move the license to a new VM in a planned maintenance window.

BB

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Technically should not have any problem, since you moving the VM with same features and IP address.

suggested steps :

1. snapshot the vm, shutdown the VM

2. bring up the new environment VM and test all working as expected - if all good de-comm the old VM

3. if any issues, note the issue you have encountered - shutdown the VM

4. bring up the old VM on Esxi 5.5

make sure you take all backups, in case of any issues aorund.

BB

thanks so much balaji.bandi. I have done it and it's OK.

Hi balaji.bandi.

there is a big problem after moving the FMC Vm from esxi 5.5 to 6. my Co-Worker forgot to power off old FMC vm in esxi 5.5 and I think everything is ok(incorrectly I connected to old vm). after a while I got it and ask him to shut down the old vm. After that, when I connect to new vm(installed in esxi 6), all licenses status is failed. how can resolve this problem without backing to old vm in esxi 5.5?

best regards Sina HR.

As mentioned on the other post, if you moving the VM what Same IP and MAC - it should not have the issue.

Just had simulated the same one of my Lab, Found some issue here as i observed.

1. When I moved the virtual machine these host servers have a different set of MAC addresses to assign the virtual NICs.

2. License key is the MAC address of the machine and when i moved the VM -  invalid the license.

The quick fix here: Shutdown the new VM / Bring up the new OLD VM and Test - all working as expected.

then Raise a TAC case or plan to move the license to a new VM in a planned maintenance window.

BB

yes. you say right. each license key is equal to Mac Address. so we need to submit license with new license key(Mac Address).

thanks.

I just looked at the portal now after my reply to last one.

you can re-host License - but make sure you do in process of Maintenance window with the downtime, Once you re-host OLD Server no longer able to use it.

BB

Finally I change the new VM's Mac address as same as old one and all licenses get valid :).

yes since the License is mapped to your MAC address - Nice work and good to know.

BB

thanks balaji.bandi so much.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card