cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NGFW vs NGIPS vs AMP appliance

michaelzhq
Level 2
Level 2

When configuring a BOM in CCW and after checking the datasheet, I am confused why 21xx and 41xx have three different appliances: NGFW, NGIPS and AMP. What I see is they all have the same software image and same price.

what are the differences? do they support different feature sets? 

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There's no difference as far as I know.

Cisco has inconsistently used the NGFW and NGIPS terms. It used to be the former was for ASA and the latter for devices running FirePOWER OS. However the FTD image has blurred that distinction. They did market a couple of "AMP Appliances" in the 3D series that had extra local storage packs pre-added for Malware storage.

As far as I can tell, it's a distinction that only matters to the people counting sales categories at Cisco. Like you noted, all run the same image and the licenses (putchased separately) are what determine the features available.

Hi, Marvin!

There are different software on the bundles under the top-level SKU FPR4120-BUN (for example):

FPR4120-ASA-K9

SF-FXOS4K-2.1-K9            +    SF-FPR-ASA9.7.1-K9

FPR4120-NGFW-K9

SF-FXOS4K-1.1-K9           +    SF-FPR-TD6.0.1-K9

FPR4120-NGIPS-K9

SF-FXOS4K-2.0-K9           +           SF-FPR-TD6.1-K9

All of them has the same price but software differs, as you can see.

At the same time there are different datasheets for this products:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/security/firepower-ngfw/datasheet-c78-736661.html
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/security/ngips/datasheet-c78-738196.html

Really confused with that %)

They all have FX-OS for chassis manaement - simply the version included from the factory differs. In all cases you should upgrade to the current FX-OS when implementing.

The package with an ASA logical device will naturally have the ASA image.

The other two SKUs include an FTD logical device so they have that image. Similar to FX-OS, you should upgrade those to the current version when deploying.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: