cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Proper way to shut down FTD for planned power loss?

willieh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I am running two 2120 FTD in HA mode and am looking for a proper way to shut them down? We have a planned power outage window, but I'm unaware of how to shut down the appliances, outside of the power switch on the back.

Does anyone know the proper way to do this, and any repercussions that come with shutting them down? Would I have to reconfigure any settings or lose any part of my config by shutting them down?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

GRANT3779
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi, 

You can do this in a few ways. 

If you have FMC they can be shutdown from there. Device menu, device then a red shutdown icon.

From the FTD device CLI, issue the shutdown command. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

GRANT3779
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi, 

You can do this in a few ways. 

If you have FMC they can be shutdown from there. Device menu, device then a red shutdown icon.

From the FTD device CLI, issue the shutdown command. 

Hey Grant,

Thanks for the response! I wasn't sure if shutting it down from there would remove the FTD from the FMC and force me to register it again.

Once you power it off and the maintenance has finished, how do you remotely power FTD on?

Question in case of ASA chassis and FP Chassis.

Thanks!

If it's an ASA running FTD or Firepower hardware appliance that you have shutdown, then power on needs to be done via the power button.

If it's a Firepower Threat Defense virtual edition then you can restart the VM via your ESXi server.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In addition to what @GRANT3779  correctly noted, you should also check in your FMC that the deployed ACP is up to date.

Proper way to shutdown or reboot you can go to firepower management center Device, device management left side System option red and green button and shutdown or restart proper way ..wait in console they complete reboot or shutdown ..proper 

2nd way cli command line     only cli mode type shutdown and then type yes.,,, wait for until they shutdown proper.

Please rate this message if they helpful... 

willieh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses. I was able to contact Cisco TAC for this issue on Monday and got the following response:

1. SSH directly into the FTD itself.
  2. Issue the connect fxos command to access the FXOS CLI.
  3. Enter Chassis mode using scope chassis 1.
  4. Power off the chassis using the shutdown ["reason"] [no-prompt] command string. 

Thank you all for your time.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card