cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Smart licensing problems

Jesper Sorensen
Level 1
Level 1

Firesight Management Center (VMware) 6.0.1 which was upgraded from 5.4 with classic licenses and worked without issues.

Now the licenses shows up as "Failed [ node  ]" :

Went through the process of converting them to smart entitlements and assigned them to a virtual account:

Assigned that smart license to the management center but the licenses does not show up:

The Firesight Management Center is running version 6.0.0.1, also tried creating a new, seperate, FMC with version 6.1.0 but with the same results.

Any ideas on how to get the subscription licenses to show up as smart licenses in FMC?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Note in your smart license screenshot, it indicates "Threat Defense" licenses. If your ASA is running ASA code (not FirePOWER Threat Defense (FTD) image), you should continue to use classic licenses.

Smart licenses are only used for the new FTD image type. That applies to both 6.0 and 6.1 FirePOWER Management Center when managing/licensing ASA FirePOWER services modules.

You may need to open a TAC case and request the licensing team to convert your licenses back. You will need classic Protect+Control, URL Filtering and Malware licenses.

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Sorry to hijack your thread but how did you get the 'Firepower MCv Device License' in the Smart Software Manager?

Although we have installed the Classic FMCv license this pops up as unlicensed and the number of managed devices.

I wasn't able to convert the ' FS-VMW-10-SW-K9' Classic license to a Smart one as the 'Convert to smart entitlements' is greyed out in License tool.

I just did a conversion of my "classic" FS-VMW-2-SW-K9 to the new "smart" system.

But I do find it strange that the licenses show up in the "smart" system but are not available on the device.

How did you convert them? As said the 'Convert to smart entitlements' is greyed out in the License tool.

I was able to convert them, as mine wasn´t greyed out im afraid.

Can you please also comment on my issue Marvin? Thanks!

Technically the FMC does not require a license as of version 6.0. It still requires a purchase of the product, but it is not licensed, either with Smart or classic license types.

There may be conditions where and FMC started out as a licensed instance on an earlier 5.x version and that carries forward when it is upgraded to 6.x.

Thanks!

Do you know what the 'Firepower MCv Device License' is that the Smart License portal displays as missing?

MCV license is required for Virtual FireSIGHT devices, you need to convert the virtual FireSIGHT license to Smart entitlement.

PID - FS-VMW-SW-K9

Where is this documented?

I assumed that but failed to do so in the license portal. How can we convert the license and which should be purchase instead of new FMCs to prevent the problem from happening in the first place?

It should be in ordering guide or conversion guide for Smart licensing. Try our new VCA tool (beta) to provide answers to questions. This tool is very effective to answers on Smart License.

If you have purchased "FS-VMW-SW-K9" or "FS-VMW-10-SW-K9" or "FS-VMW-2-SW-K9" virtual FireSIGHT then you should be able to convert this PID to Smart to obtain MCV Smart entitlement. You can convert by using below steps,

- Login to LRP and assign your Smart and Virtual account to the PAK for the Virtual FireSIGHT ("FS-VMW-SW-K9" or "FS-VMW-10-SW-K9" or "FS-VMW-2-SW-K9")

- Login to CSSM (Smart Software Manager) select your Smart and virtual account

- Click on License Conversion Tab, you should see the PAK added

- Follow the steps to complete the conversion

Thank you very much @dhvenkat!

In the 'Convert Licenses' tab of 'Smart Software Manager' the already activated PAK I've assigned to the virtual account showed up and could be converted.

I never looked there because the other license conversions are done in the License Administration Portal.

dhvenkat  ,

Has the following changed?

FIRESIGHT license is not required for FMC 6.0.1 (image which supports Smart). It is already integrated into the SW

Source - your FAQ posting from March 2016

Yes this is correct for all FireSIGHT, but MCV license is different which is required for Virtual FireSIGHT devices only. User can obtain the MCV license by converting FS-VMS-SW-K9 PID to Smart.

- DD

@dhvenkat: please see my two questions below, thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card