cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Traceroute through FTD Sensor?

jan.nielsen
Level 7
Level 7

Does anyone have an FTD based firewall running, where traceroute through it works ?

In ASA, enabling inspection of icmp/icmp error, allowed traceroute to match icmp replies and allow them, without having to open icmp return packets on the outside interface.

This as far as i can tell, is not the case with FTD, I have no policies allowing any traffic from outside->inside, which is what i wan't. The FTD is not blocking the return packets for http/https or any other regular protocol, however it does seem to be blocking the return icmp packets, it seems like the old-style ASA icmp/icmp error inspection, is not working like it used to.

Anyone having problems with traceroute and FTD also ?

/Jan

24 Replies 24

Hi,

I have FTD's in HA. Do I need to set/change the platform settings for FTD-HA and apply the commands shown in the screenshots? Would appreciate your help!

Thank you!

To make the icmp and traceroute work fully yes, you would apply the bits from the FMC screenshots.

Anyone still have this issue?  I have an HA pair of Firepower 2110 running 6.2.2.2 in my lab and I flat-out cannot get traceroute to work through them, even after configuring the ICMP and FlexConfig settings recommended by Marvin.  I have the same symptom that Alexandre described - all the traceroute hops fail except for the final one, which does come through.

Finally got an answer from TAC on a 2+ month old SR of them, and it works, no fancy settings required:

Add ICMP (either v4 or v6) Destination Unknown and Time Exceeded to the list of allowed ICMP traffic.

And that's it, plain and simple. Not what I was expecting but hey, the theory behind it makes sense if you think about it. If anyone feels brave enough digging into all the small sub-options, feel free to do so and let us know so we can tight even further our controls :)

allow_traceroute.png

Cheers.

Fast forward to 2020, "set connection decrement-ttl" is not a supported CLI command anymore on FlexConfig Object, the two ICMP types added as access list rules do not do anything else anymore, and traceroute is broken again: all but the last hop doesn't time out.

Any more hints and tips, aside of moving to a PaloAlto?

@HQuest To allow the FTD appear as a hop in traceroute this is configurable on FTD 6.4 and newer in the Access Policy Service Rule, example here.

HTH

Removed all previous settings I had (which by the way I later found out the CLI syntax for FlexConfig should be "set conn decrease-ttl" as Cisco renamed "connection" to "conn"), gave the instructions from your referred post a try, no luck.

Worth noting the FTD capture with trace is dropping ICMP because of their short TTL, but passing UDP - except this does no good as ICMP is being blocked so the endpoint will never have any clue where on the trace the packet is stopping at.

OK, thanks for the guidance so far. Can someone expand or post a link on how to "use Flex config to add inspects"?.  

I tried adding the System Defined, Default_Inspection_Protocol_Enable, to a new Flexconfig policy, however it seemed to do nothing. 

[@itsupport@protectorfire.com.au]  

Answered in your related post:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/13338721/configuring-block-ips-isp-5508-fmc

In an earlier version of FMC I followed Marvin's advice and created a flexconfig object to apply the following:

policy-map global_policy
 class class-default
  set connection decrement-ttl

This was added to a 5506 FTD and worked fine.  However I have since upgraded to FMC 6.6 and decrement ttl is now configurable from the GUI (although not to the class-default, but needs to be tied to an extended ACL). I therefore tried to remove the flexconfig object.  When I unassign the flexconfig policy I get a warning saying that the CLI will not be removed and a 'Negate CLI' policy needs pushing to the device to get rid of it.

Unfortunately it is no longer possible to create a flexconfig object with the same elements as above (with or without a 'no' on the set line).  So it appears there is no way to remove this from the configuration.

How do I get rid of this as there is no access to change the configuration from the CLI?

Andy

EDIT:  I should have just read this thread more closely...  HQuest's reply helped me.  You can still apply this as a FlexConfig element, however 'set connection decrement-ttl' needs changing to 'set conn decrement-ttl'.  This works with a negate (no set....) as well so I have managed to fix my issue.

Cheers

Andy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card