Views
Helpful
Replies

UPGRADE FMC TO 6.2 FROM 5.4 -ASISTANCE

WEERAKOO69BA
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

I am planning to upgrade FMC(5.4.1) to 6.2.

Can anybody tell me the upgrade path?

And also in my environment  SFR and NGIPS also running with 5.3.Should I have to upgrade those too?

Pls advice

Thank you

7 Replies 7

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Moved this thread to Firepower forum for better categorization.

The upgrade path is specified in the FMC 6.2 release notes:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/620/relnotes/Firepower_System_Release_Notes_Version_620/important_update_notes.html#id_38002

You should get your FMC to 6.1 along with all of your managed devices. Then upgrade FMC to 6.2 (and patch to 6.2.0.1). Finally upgrade the devices similarly from 6.1 to 6.2.0 and 6.2.0.1. This last bit is because FMC 6.2 cannot manage devices earlier than 6.1.

Dear Marvin,

Thanks for the reply.

What is the upgrade path from 5.4.1 to 6.2  ?

Is the following path  correct path?

Version 5.4.1.1 > Version 6.0.0 Pre-Installation Package > Version 6.0.0 > Version 6.0.1 Pre-Install > Version 6.0.1. > Version 6.1.0 Pre-Installation Package > Version 6.1.0 > Version 6.2.0

Other point is ,you have mentioned that "FMC 6.2 cannot manage devices earlier than 6.1" This means in the  same time do I have to upgrade SFR and NGIPS  ?

Thanking You

Yes that is the correct path.

You only have to upgrade the managed devices to 6.1 if you plan to move to FMC 6.2+. (Which is the currently recommended release based on both features and stability.)

If you do not, the FMC will not allow you to upgrade until the managed devices are at 6.1 - it's one of the pre-upgrade checks it does.

Ideally you would get to the latest release on both FMC and all managed devices. It's also a best practice to have scheduled tasks to download and deploy the latest VDB, Snort rules and Geolocation database.

Dear Marvin,

Thanks a lot for your reply..

Actually my requirement is this.

I have DC 5.3 and new DC with 5.4. I need to upgrade 5.4 to 6.2+ (I can follow the upgrade upath as you said).

I need to replace DC 5.3 with DC5.4 .For that what is your advice?

*Is there anyway to upload DC5.3 config to DC5.4  directly and carry on the upgrade on there onwards?

*should upgrade DC5.3 --->DC5.4 first and extract the config from there and upload on NEW DC 5.4 ?

What is the best practice?

Thanks

A backup can only be restored onto the same version from which it was taken. So you would have to first upgrade your 5.3 system to 5.3 and then perform a backup.

You can then restore that backup on to a new 5.4 system.

After that perform the upgrades according to the path mentioned earlier.

Hi Marvin!, team,

I have a question regarding an update i should perform in my lab:

1. I have a virtual FP with version 5.2

2. I have a DC with 5.2 version

My requirements are to convert the FP to 6.2.3.13 and also the DC to 6.2.3.13 (both virtuals), because at the end, this device will be added to a FMC, i am recreating a customer planned migration from these environments to be prepared for the activity day, so, could you please help me with:

a) The upgrade path to perform this activities

b) I supposed we at cisco have a documentation regarding this upgrade, could you please share?

c) Any suggestions regarding this process?

kind regards!

Luis Franco

As already noted in this thread and many others, the release notes document the upgrade paths.

Doing an inline upgrade across that many versions will be VERY time-consuming (think days not hours) and you face the possibility of encountering an issue along the way (possible) along with multiple service-affecting outages (definitely).

5.2 is quite old and it would be advisable to consider just documenting the configuration and building new product instances on the current releases. Then do a flash cutover.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: