cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

5505 will not boot any image higher 7.2(5)

dennylester
Level 1
Level 1

I picked up a used ASA5505 off of eBay to use in a lab environment to test the 8.3 changes before applying the update to our production units. This unit faithfully boots the 7.2(5) code, but any version above it hangs at Booting. It did boot up 8.3 immediately after the update, but never again after that. I have tried numerous power cycles to no avail.

We had a brand new Cisco ASA destined for a new startup, so I tried the memory and flash from it in this lab device to rule those out and the exact same problem, hangs at booting.

It sure sounds hardware related at this point, but you wouldn't think it would boot 7.2(5) either if it were bad hardware.

Anyone have any theories?

Thank you,

Denny

3 Replies 3

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi denny,

you'll need to follow an upgrade path: 7.2 > 8.0 > 8.2 > 8.3.

also, make sure you've got "at least" 512 MB memory to run 8.3+ image.

Hi, I appreciate the response. It's my understanding you only need to follow the upgrade path if you want to retain your configuration and have the configuration upgrade correctly though the versions. In my case, this unit has no configuration on it yet.

The memory in this unit is a third party 1Gb stick. Thinking that was the issue, I tried the memory from a brand new ASA, which was 512 Mb, and the exact same problem. I just find it strange that 7.2(5) loads flawlessly every time.

I guess that's what I get buying Cisco gear off of eBay. :-)

Denny

Hi,

It seems to be a complete hardware issue. I would suggest you to get it replaced.

- Prateek Verma

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card