Views
Helpful
Replies

ACE ordering

sue.nall
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I have a really long access list that has the following 2 entries, in this order, contained in it:

show ip access-list blah

<output omitted> 

1010  deny ip any 192.168.1.128 0.0.0.63 log  (no matches)
1200  permit tcp host 192.168.1.130 gt 1023 any eq www (matches actively incrementing at the rate of 2 or 3 every few seconds) 

<output omitted> 

since the host 192.168.1.130 is contained within the subnet denied in the previous statement, I am at a loss to explain why the TCP traffic to the specific host is not ALSO denied by the previous line.

Anybody got a clue as to what might cause this?  What obvious thing am I missing?  I thought the hit counter only incremented if traffic was matched, and it really doesn't look like the tcp/80 traffic from 192.168.1.130 should be allowed.

(1st 3 octets of the IP address were changed to private, but the mask and the last octet are the same)

Thanks!

Sue

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Line 1010 is deny FROM any to the subnet

Line 1200 is permit from a host in the subnet TO any

Assuming it's on a stateful firewall, the reflexive ACL will allow the return traffic that is generated by traffic being allowed by line 1200.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Line 1010 is deny FROM any to the subnet

Line 1200 is permit from a host in the subnet TO any

Assuming it's on a stateful firewall, the reflexive ACL will allow the return traffic that is generated by traffic being allowed by line 1200.

Thanks Marvin, I can't believe I missed that!  I'm re structuring these massive ACLs on HSRP pairs of routers and I'm just going cross eyed looking at that.  Silly question, but I appreciate the response.

Sue

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card