cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Any updates on BugID CSCut04399 - Java 8 and ASDM issues on Macbook

jthullen
Level 1
Level 1

I am petty sure I am hitting bug CSCut04399. Since I have upgrade my MacBook to Java 8 ASDM stalls every time I get logged into it and it begins to load the configuration. The Bug list no work around's but I have to believe by now, with the industry push to Java 8, that there has to be something that can be done. I have lost all ability to manage the ASA's via ASDM since my (required) upgrade to Java8. I cannot drop back to Java7 per my company's policy. Please let me know what can be done. I have tried various version of ASA and ASDM code to no avail. Latest running versions of both are 9.3.3. and 7.4.1, and still have the issue. Please help!!

6 Replies 6

jny
Level 1
Level 1
Seconded....

The bug should have been fixed in ASDM 7.5 and 7.6.

The current ASDM release is 7.12(2) and it works fine with the latest Java releases on multiple platforms (Windows, OS X and Linux).

This is still an open issue. Even in the very latest ASA5505 ASDM code rev, ASDM on OS X Sierra hangs at 17%, discovery.

Using JRE version 1.8.0_221 Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
User home directory = /Users/{removed}
----------------------------------------------------
c: clear console window
f: finalize objects on finalization queue
g: garbage collect
h: display this help message
m: print memory usage
q: hide console
s: dump system properties
----------------------------------------------------
Application Logging Started at Mon Aug 12 15:35:35 CDT 2019
---------------------------------------------
Local Launcher Version = 1.9.0
Local Launcher Version Display = 1.9(0)
OK button clicked
Trying for ASDM Version file; url = https://{ip-address removed}/admin/
Server Version = 7.12(2)
Server Launcher Version = 1.9.0, size = 880128 bytes
Launcher version checking is successful.
invoking SGZ Loader..
Cache location = /Users/{removed}/.asdm/cache
2019-08-12 15:35:48,485 [ERROR] CLI-PASSTHROUGH-DEBUG Inside doInitialProcessing:
0 [SGZ Loader: launchSgzApplet] ERROR com.cisco.pdm.headless.startup - CLI-PASSTHROUGH-DEBUG Inside doInitialProcessing:
CLI-PASSTHROUGH-DEBUG Inside doInitialProcessing:
2019-08-12 15:35:48,848 [ERROR] CLI-PASSTHROUGH-DEBUG Inside doInitialProcessing messenger: cm9@30361996
363 [SGZ Loader: launchSgzApplet] ERROR com.cisco.pdm.headless.startup - CLI-PASSTHROUGH-DEBUG Inside doInitialProcessing messenger: cm9@30361996
CLI-PASSTHROUGH-DEBUG Inside doInitialProcessing messenger: cm9@30361996
LifeTime value : -1 HTTP Enable Status : null
IO Exception occurs while reading the dap file. java.io.FileNotFoundException: https://{ip-address removed}/admin/flash/dap.xml
java.lang.ClassCastException: cuq cannot be cast to csr
at dqp.a(dqp.java:96)
at dte.c(dte.java:1182)
at dtb.a(dtb.java:121)
at dtb.a(dtb.java:81)
at dtd.a(dtd.java:55)
at dmv.a(dmv.java:1587)
at bsf.a(bsf.java:768)
at bsf.run(bsf.java:195)

RFC 1925

It does seem to be fixed in version 7.8 ASDM. However, you can't connect to an ASA5505 that supports up to 7.12 with ASDM launcher version 7.8. When attempting to connect to the 5505, the device thinks you need to upgrade to 7.12, and will not let you connect otherwise. If you download 7.12 from the device when connecting, then attempt the connection from that version of ASDM, the connection hangs at 17%.

So it appears Cisco has unwittingly worked the ASDM users into a corner. I realize the 5505 is rather old now, but it's still under Support. If I downgrade the ASDM to an older version, things are fine again. It does require an older version of Java JRE, however.

RFC 1925

I have a customer with a 5508-X and I am encountering this issue with ASA 9.8.4 code and ASDM 7.13. In my companies lab I tested ASA code 9.8.4 with ASDM 7.12 and it worked fine on a 5506-X. Of course the customer has no TAC support so I am having to troubleshoot this through hours of trial and error.

Try removing ASDM from the device, install a new copy (maybe SCP ASDM file from your 5505-X device, if you can't download it from Cisco's site). Then, remove it entirely from your client computer and re-download it from the 5506-X again as a fresh install/connection. I feel like something's recently changed in Java, where the self-cert certificate is now an issue. I managed to get ASDM access again on a Windows 7 box.

RFC 1925
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card