cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5500-X with Sourcefire and HTTP Inspection

snowmizer
Level 1
Level 1

I have an ASA 5525-X with the Sourcefire module and would like some verification about whether HTTP inspection should be enabled on the ASA. Basically, on my 5510 I had a HTTP inspect policy configured on the outside interface (matching specific URI information) which also dropped connections with HTTP protocol violations. When setting up my 5525-X I set up the same inspect policy on the outside interface I'm running into an issue where I can't download ISOs from Microsoft because the ASA is dropping the connection since there is a HTTP protocol violation.

Couple of questions:

1. Should I be doing http inspection on any interface on the ASA or leave that to the Sourcefire module?

2. How can I find out what the protocol violation is and how can I fix it?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

sjarchung
Level 1
Level 1

Compatibility with ASA Features

The ASA includes many advanced application inspection features, including HTTP inspection. However, the ASA FirePOWER module provides more advanced HTTP inspection than the ASA provides, as well as additional features for other applications, including monitoring and controlling application usage.

You must follow these configuration restrictions on the ASA:

• Do not configure ASA inspection on HTTP traffic that you send to the ASA FirePOWER module.
  • Do not configure Cloud Web Security (ScanSafe) inspection on traffic that you send to the ASA FirePOWER module. If traffic matches both your Cloud Web Security and ASA FirePOWER service policies, the traffic is forwarded to the ASA FirePOWER module only. If you want to implement both services, ensure there is no overlap between the traffic matching criteria for each service.
  • Do not enable the Mobile User Security (MUS) server; it is not compatible with the ASA FirePOWER module.

Other application inspections on the ASA are compatible with the ASA FirePOWER module, including the default inspections.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

sjarchung
Level 1
Level 1

Compatibility with ASA Features

The ASA includes many advanced application inspection features, including HTTP inspection. However, the ASA FirePOWER module provides more advanced HTTP inspection than the ASA provides, as well as additional features for other applications, including monitoring and controlling application usage.

You must follow these configuration restrictions on the ASA:

• Do not configure ASA inspection on HTTP traffic that you send to the ASA FirePOWER module.
  • Do not configure Cloud Web Security (ScanSafe) inspection on traffic that you send to the ASA FirePOWER module. If traffic matches both your Cloud Web Security and ASA FirePOWER service policies, the traffic is forwarded to the ASA FirePOWER module only. If you want to implement both services, ensure there is no overlap between the traffic matching criteria for each service.
  • Do not enable the Mobile User Security (MUS) server; it is not compatible with the ASA FirePOWER module.

Other application inspections on the ASA are compatible with the ASA FirePOWER module, including the default inspections.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card