cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5505 connectivity

bryanrobh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.  I have an old 5505 that I want to configure at home.  I plug it in and it powers on.  I connect my management cable to it and use a USB to serial to my pc and its on COM4.  I go to my secureCRT and connect to com4 and get the green check mark as if it connects.  Then when I hit enter on my keyboard nothing happens. Any ideas?

10 Replies 10

Sounds like it is a wrong COM port or that the driver for the serial cable is not installed.

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

It’s strange because the pc detects the usb to aerial dongle and there are no errors in the device manager.

Can you test the cable on another Cisco device (preferably another ASA5505) to verify that there is nothing wrong with the cable?

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

I suspect the Cable issue, can you check the USB cable working with other devices if you have any.

is this new device or in production, if new device, recycle the power while console cable connected to device

quick stup guide for reference :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/quick_start/5505/5505-poster.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

So the cable is working on other devices. This was used in production. Maybe resetting it to factory? I am not sure at this point. 

Not sure how I would even update the drivers on this generic dongle anyway.

if it in production, you can have IP to SSH or connect with ASDM right ?

BB

Oh I am sorry it’s not in production it was taken out. I don’t have any of the config

If not in production, connect the console cable and reboot and test it as suggested.

BB

Yeah I tried that and nothing.  I also uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for the usb dongle.  Nothing. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card