cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5505 drops game every 30 minutes

SHANE4252
Level 1
Level 1

My 5505 drops me off Blizzard games (World of WarCraft and Overwatch) every half hour or so but not based on play time.  For example, earlier today I was playing WoW.  I got disconnected from the game every hour and half hour on the clock around 4-7 minutes and again at 34-37 minutes.  If I connect to a Blizzard game, I'll be able to play until one of those times on the clock comes back around again (5:35, 6:04, 6:37, etc.).  It doesn't seem to be exactly every thirty minutes as it's started happening a bit later in the hour every day.

When I'm directly connected to my cable modem, I don't experience the issue.  Once the 5505 is introduced though, the issue returns.  Additionally, whether I have multiple other devices on my inside LAN connected to the ASA doesn't seem to make a difference.  The issue happens when the ASA is connected to just my PC and the modem.

I don't notice a problem with any other services, but there may be and I just haven't noticed it yet.  The only thing that I can see that's likely related to the issue is that if I have Wireshark running when the issue happens, I seem to get a lot of RST, ACK from the Blizzard IP addresses.

I'm running 9.24 on the ASA.

Any help would be appreciated.

4 Replies 4

SHANE4252
Level 1
Level 1

I confirmed that the issue does not happen when I'm directly connected to my cable modem.

Anyone have any ideas on how I might continue troubleshooting?

SHANE4252
Level 1
Level 1

The problem seems to have cleared up on its own.  The RST, ACK commands make me think it was a problem on Blizzard's end, but it seems weird that they were able to tell when I was using the firewall...

AmberCh
Level 1
Level 1

It's been a long time, but I have a similar problem. Is there a solution, or should I just wait?

GraysonWyatt01
Level 1
Level 1

Based on the information provided, it seems that the issue you are experiencing with your 5505 dropping you off Blizzard games every half hour or so could be related to your ASA configuration for the mobile game. One possible solution is to check your ASA's connection settings and ensure that there are no specific rules or policies causing the disconnections. You may also want to update your ASA firmware to the latest version (if available) to ensure compatibility with Blizzard games for mobile. Additionally, it could be helpful to analyze the network traffic using tools like Wireshark to further investigate the RST, ACK packets from the Blizzard IP addresses. If the issue persists, contacting Blizzard support or your internet service provider for further assistance may be beneficial.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card