Views
Helpful
Replies

asa 5505 licening

scooter0304
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I've got a ASA5505(ASA5505-BUN-K9), and i'm hitting the user limit, more and more offen. So i'm looking in to upgrading the licene to unlimited and at the same time i'm looking at the security plus bundle...

So i'm a bit in doubt, if i can just buy the security plus license upgrade and get unlimited users and security plus features or do i need to upgrade the user license and the buy security plus ?

The reason im in doubt is that there are multiple answers to that question on the forum and the fact the a brand new asa5505 bundled with security plus(

ASA5505-SEC-BUN-K9) costs the same as the license upgrade.

TIA

Michael

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

kmccourt
Level 1
Level 1

Upgrading a base ASA5505 to a Sec. Plus licence does NOT upgrade the number of users. This needs to be done separately. The links given by the second poster are for hardware purchases - this is not what you require, unless of course you want/need to buy a second ASA. Maybe that's a good idea if the price is similar to simply buying a licence upgrade for your existing ASA?

See https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/2007952#2007952

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

deyster94
Level 5
Level 5

Here is what I found on Cisco's site:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps6032/ps6094/ps6120/prod_brochure0900aecd80402e36.html

Cisco ASA 5505 unlimited user bundle:

Includes  unlimited user license, 8-port Fast Ethernet switch, stateful firewall,  10 IPsec VPN peers, 2 SSL VPN peers, 3DES/AES license, and 1 expansion  slot

Cisco ASA 5505 Security Plus bundle:

Includes  Cisco ASA 5505, unlimited users, 8-port Fast Ethernet switch, stateful  firewall, 25 IPsec VPN peers, 2 SSL VPN peers, stateless Active/Standby  high availability, dual ISP support, DMZ support, 3DES/AES license, and 1  expansion slot

Might as well go with the Security Plus license if they are the same cost since you get more out of it.

kmccourt
Level 1
Level 1

Upgrading a base ASA5505 to a Sec. Plus licence does NOT upgrade the number of users. This needs to be done separately. The links given by the second poster are for hardware purchases - this is not what you require, unless of course you want/need to buy a second ASA. Maybe that's a good idea if the price is similar to simply buying a licence upgrade for your existing ASA?

See https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/2007952#2007952

Hi  kmccourt

It was actually because of that thread i became in doubt, if this was true or not... I think i will buy me a brandnew one, it only 50cents more then the license upgrade... The old one is just out of warrenty and buying a new one gives me something to play around with + all the features i need + 2 ("new") years warrenty... or if i dont have time for the "old" one i can allways sell it, anyway i see it, it cheapere to buy brandnew then upgrade the "old" one.

Thanks for the answer kmccourt

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card