Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5505 memory upgrade

bullfinch
Level 1
Level 1

hi all,

it is possible use 1 or 2 Gb memory with ASA 5505 or only 512 Mb ?

Thanks

6 Replies 6

varrao
Level 10
Level 10

Hi ,

1 GB memory is compatible with ASA 5505.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Varun

Thanks,
Varun Rao

I believe it is only upgradeable to 512MB. The older models came with only 256MB and one memory slot, the new models ship with 512MB not sure if the number of memory slots have changed to accomodate 1GB.

Hi,

Just checked it up, yes maximum memory for ASA 5505 is 512MB, there is no other part number available for the memory upgrade except this:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-12690

Thanks,

Varun

Thanks,
Varun Rao

I can confirm my ASA5505 won't boot with "ASA5505-MEM-1GB".  I purchased mine from http://www.amazon.com/DRAM-Memory-Series-Cisco-ASA5505-MEM-1GB/dp/B00A8OZ0T4

I don't even see that part number here on the Cisco site.

Anyway, it would not boot.  All lights flash and it doesn't come up.  The package though says ASA5510-MEM-1GB.  The chip says MT18VDDT12872AG-40BD1 and, most notably, it says ECC.

ww9rivers
Level 1
Level 1

This may depends on the hardware version of your ASA 5505. I have seen one user review specifically said v.08 worked. Myself has got a v06 that behaves the same way as bulletprooftech reported when I put in a 1GB DIMM module.

It's an old thread. But hope this helps some one.

Apparently this is an unofficial upgrade that may work.

We have upgraded a few ASA5505's, one was flaky and we don't know yet if it was caused  by the memory or not.

Use at your own risk with this upgrade.

The 5505's are still nice since there are no switch ports on the 5506X's

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card