Helpful
Replies

ASA 5505 power cycling failure

J.S.Rasmussen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys

I bougth a used ASA 5505 on ebay which is experiencing this problem

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/ts/fn/620/fn62832.html#LEVELS or at least the described problem, if i touch the appliance while it is running it will somtimes go to this non working state as well

yet in the S/N tool it says not affected

Help or tips on what to do would be appriciated

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The best way to confirm the strongest theory so far will be to have an extra ASA and power supply so we can test the parts you have and isolate the issue.

Assuming you don't have that option, maybe you can try to get a refund from the seller or just make sure nobody will "touch" the unit.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

jocamare
Level 4
Level 4

Is the issue that the unit becomes unresponsive randomly or just after a normal power cycle of the box?

If it happens randomly, how do you recover access to it? Do you recover access at all?

In case you can access the unit, check for crashes with the output of the "show crash" command.

Also, try to use the console cable while doing this.

• Somewhat.. if i powercycle or touch the device it will in like 40% of the occurences become unresponsive the LEDs will  blink one time and then it's just unresponsive
  • unplugging and plugging back in until it starts properly
  • show crash gives me nothing.

maybe it is a loose connection between the Power adapter and the device?

I'll assume that when you say "touch" you mean, physicaly touching the device.

If you just connect to it, using the console cable, without "touching" it, does it go unresponsive?

When the device is booting [you'll need the console cable to see this], does it show any errors?

Can you post the output of when you reload the device and it goes unresponsive?

• That is correct
  • no i have not experienced it doing that
  • no it does not show any errors
  • maybe i was unclear ealier by powercycle I ment physically plugging it out  and back in.i have not experienced it doing the same thing on a normal  reload yet.there is no output to show because there's no response at  all.

Can you try to connect to the unit using a console cable?

I normally use putty, it's configured with the default settings for the serial connection besides other great functions.

The following link explains how to connect using the console cable, we need you to do that in order to really see what the ASA is going through.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/hw/maintenance/5505guide/install.html

I already am but i get no output at all

That's strange.

If the device is at least booting up, we should be able to get an output when connecting using the console cable.

Can you confirm the app's settings are correct and that the console cable is working?

yea it is and i do get a normal boot sequence when the device does boot, and that's without errors, nothing special to show

the device is acting like it does not receive power when it is failling

If there are no errors when booting up and when it goes down it doesn't display error, it might mean that there is a power issue and probably a loose connection between the ASA and its power supply.

What about the power supply connection, does it look "healthy".

my thoughts too..

it does look healthy

The best way to confirm the strongest theory so far will be to have an extra ASA and power supply so we can test the parts you have and isolate the issue.

Assuming you don't have that option, maybe you can try to get a refund from the seller or just make sure nobody will "touch" the unit.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: