Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5505 Question

I was wondering if the ASA 5505 is sufficient for the CCNP Security track? I am looking into creating a home lab to prepare for the exams.

If not which ASA model should I go with?

Thanks.

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

varrao
Level 10
Level 10

Yes, it shoudl be enough...Any ASA low series or Mid series like 5510 or 5520 should do.

Thanks,

Varun

Thanks,
Varun Rao

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

varrao
Level 10
Level 10

Yes, it shoudl be enough...Any ASA low series or Mid series like 5510 or 5520 should do.

Thanks,

Varun

Thanks,
Varun Rao

fantastic, that really is good news as the 5510 is quite a bit more expensive, at least where I live.

--

Hi Marius,

The ASA 5505 should be enough, with the base license you can configure two interfaces whihc can communication with each other and another interface with restricted traffic flow, which means traffic would flow only in one direction. For recreate purposes this should not be an issue, since you can do your lab with two interfaces as well. You can recreate VPN and other firewall functions on it as well. For more info about what it provides, you can refer these docs:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/security/asa/asa82/license/license82.html#wp190062

Thanks,

Varun

Thanks,
Varun Rao

Thanks Varun,

Just one more question if you do not mind.  More along the lines of how many I should get?  Should I get 2 to simulate site-2-site?

Also, for the routers and switches, do you think the 1841 routers will be enough or do I need something like the 3800? and Do I really need a 3560 switch or will a 3550 or 2960 switch be fine.  Reason I ask is that I can get my hands on some cheap 1841 routers and 3550 and 2960 but having trouble finding the others.  I know I can buy them on Amazon or Ebay but then I have to pay import tax so trying to avoid that.

Thanks again, really appreciate it.

--

Hi Marius,

How many? I would say you woudl atleast need 2, since you might need to configure failover as well.

For routers - 1841 should do, you can do site-to-site with it, no issues.

For switches - you can use any since you would need a switch to connect the two firewalls in failover

Everything depends on your toplogy that you create. I would say, first decide upon what topology you would need and then go for devices accordingly. Its not always the hardware, but for some features to be enabled you need the license and software as well, so you can keep it very basic and avoid expense if you can.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Varun

Thanks,
Varun Rao
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card