Views
Helpful
Replies

asa 5505 upgrade

AliMahm00di
Level 1
Level 1

Hello;

I'm new into Cisco firewalls and I started with an asa 5505. I need to upgrade it now ..

Is "Cisco ASA software Version 9.12(x)" supported by this device?

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks.

BR/

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

yes version is supported

Release 9.1.7 Interim   - is the 5 * recomended, make sure you understand the upgrade path and read the release notes before upgrading.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

ASA software version 9.12 is NOT supported on the ASA 5505. The 5505 has been end of sales for some time and the latest software is no longer being developed for that platform.

The latest supported and recommended version for the ASA 5505 is currently 9.1(7) interim build 32, released in September 2018.

As @balaji.bandi mentioned read the release notes and upgrade guide - they are quite thorough in instructing you how to proceed.

You'd also have to remove the existing boot command (or at least make it second on the list) as putting in a new one will just append it in the config and not replace the existing one.

Also make sure the new boot image asa917-32-k8.bin file is present on your disk0:/

Save the config and then reload to boot the 9.1(7) image.

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

yes version is supported

Release 9.1.7 Interim   - is the 5 * recomended, make sure you understand the upgrade path and read the release notes before upgrading.

BB

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

ASA software version 9.12 is NOT supported on the ASA 5505. The 5505 has been end of sales for some time and the latest software is no longer being developed for that platform.

The latest supported and recommended version for the ASA 5505 is currently 9.1(7) interim build 32, released in September 2018.

As @balaji.bandi mentioned read the release notes and upgrade guide - they are quite thorough in instructing you how to proceed.

@Marvin Rhoads 

Thanks for your reply.

what about release Version 9.2(4)33 – 05/04/2018, it is released before the 9.1(7)32 but seems to be a newer minor release. frankly, I'm a little confused.

May you kindly explain it.

thanks.

Release 9.2.4 Interim  - is also Interim .

But suggested version always for now - 9.1(7)32 ( until you have other issues whichw as reolved in 9.2.X)

BB

@Marvin Rhoads @balaji.bandi 

My device is already on 9.2(4), and I want to replace it with 9.1(7). is it simply possible with this command or anything else is needed?

boot system disk0:/asa917-32-k8.bin

Thanks so much. 

You'd also have to remove the existing boot command (or at least make it second on the list) as putting in a new one will just append it in the config and not replace the existing one.

Also make sure the new boot image asa917-32-k8.bin file is present on your disk0:/

Save the config and then reload to boot the 9.1(7) image.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: