cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5510 Hairpin/U-Turn Traffic to escape tunnel to public internet

wstucky01
Level 1
Level 1

I have an interesting request from a remote-site not wanting to allow access to a public facing IP.  We have a tunnel between their ASA & ours which hairpins traffic to 2 networks out the outside interface.

(IPs have been changed to protect the innocent)

From the remote-site perspective, they are pointing a host to 10.0.0.1 & 10.0.0.2, then NATing on the edge of their tunnel to destinations 172.16.0.1 & 172.16.0.2 (to keep everything pointed to private IPs).

Our outside interface has a private IP on the 172.16.0.x/24 network.

172.16.0.1 is the real IP of SERVER1

172.16.0.2 is an unused dummy IP on the same subnet, & is only used to NAT to the public I'll refer to as 8.8.8.8.

All traffic is initiated from the client's private network, so I would think the stateful TCP connections should allow this to work, & I was able to prove this works in my ASA lab with a simple hairpin nat, but it doesn't seem to be working on the real network with a tunnel involved.  Is there something I'm missing that I need to do to allow this to work?  Packet-tracer shows the NATing is working as expected, but it claims a deny at the end of the hairpin because it's no longer tunneled traffic once it's headed for the public internet.  I've seen in other forums that this is a normal limitation to the packet-tracer tool in regards to tunneled traffic.

I have same-security-traffic permit inter/intra-interface enabled.  Either one of my nat statements "should" work, but it doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

I've included a generic firewall in the drawing to show our public IP for the L2L tunnel is passed through another firewall to us, & that this firewall has the 172.16.0.0/24 network connected to it.

What am I missing to make this work as desired?

hairpin.png

(EDIT/update with details on my ASA)

object network PRIV-IP

host 172.16.0.2
object network PUB-IP
 host 8.8.8.8
object network REMOTE-HOST
 host 192.168.1.10

object network REMOTE-HOST2

host 192.168.1.11

object-group network REMOTE-SITE

network-object object REMOTE-HOST

network-object object REMOTE-HOST2

access-list TUNNEL-ACL extended permit ip object SERVER1 object-group REMOTE-SITE
access-list TUNNEL-ACL extended permit ip object PRIV-IP object-group REMOTE-SITE
crypto map outside_map 10 match address TUNNEL-ACL

nat (outside,outside) source static REMOTE-HOST REMOTE-HOST destination static PRIV-IP PUB-IP
[should also work?] nat (outside,outside) source dynamic REMOTE-HOST interface destination static PRIV-IP PUB-IP

object network REMOTE-HOST

nat (outside,outside) dynamic interface

object network REMOTE-HOST2

nat (outside,outside) dynamic interface

5 Replies 5

Are you NATing at both firewalls? 10.0.0.2 to 172.16.0.2 and then again 172.16.0.2 to 8.8.8.8?

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

yes.

Updated original post with more details, but here's the essential nat flow:

10.0.0.2 > 172.16.0.2 (tunnel) 172.16.0.2 > 8.8.8.8

Can you add route-lookup at the end of the nat statement?

No, it will not accept that command.  I think I can only use that if I'm keeping the NATs the same on the statement.

Sorry for the delay- I was waiting on feedback if I could have the remote ASA NAT to the real IP before the tunnel but was just denied, so I'm back to trying to making this thrice-nat thing work again.

UPDATE:

I ended up routing this traffic Inside instead of haripinning.  Funny thing is it still didn't work until I removed the network objects referenced in the NAT statement & added them back.  Since that fixed it, I didn't care to try it with the hairpin again to see if that was really all I needed to do.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: