cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5512 8.6(1) failover via Management0/0

joerggrau
Level 1
Level 1

I am configuring a brand new pair of ASA 5512s running 8.6(1).  Traditionally we hae been using the Management port as the dedicated failover link, but that seems to not be possible on the 5512s.

ASA (config-if)# no management-only

ERROR: It is not allowed to make changes to this option for management interface on this platform.

I have not been able to find anything in the official documentation mentioning this restriction. 

Does anybody know if this is indeed the case or if I am just missing something?

Thanks

Joerg Grau

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I think this is what you are looking for

Management Port Configuration Changes

The  ASA 5500-X Series introduced a shared management port for firewall and  IPS services.,There are certain caveats to follow during migration from  the ASA 5500 Series.

•  The shared management port cannot be used as a data port. All  through-the-box traffic arriving at the management port will be dropped  implicitly. This cannot be disabled.

• The shared management port cannot be used as a part of a high availability configuration.

If  the ASA management port (M0/0) on the ASA 5500 Series appliance was  being used as a data port, the configuration associated with that port  should be moved to one of the gigabit data ports numbered above G0/3.

Source:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps5708/ps5709/ps6120/guide_c07-727453.html

Though I guess you have to take into consideration when we compare the old ASA5500 Series and the new ASA5500-X that the new series actually has 2 more physical interfaces than all previous corresponding models had.

Though it still might feel a waste of a Gigabit interface in a sense.

Hope this helps

Please remember to mark the reply as the correct answer if it answered your question.

- Jouni

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I think this is what you are looking for

Management Port Configuration Changes

The  ASA 5500-X Series introduced a shared management port for firewall and  IPS services.,There are certain caveats to follow during migration from  the ASA 5500 Series.

•  The shared management port cannot be used as a data port. All  through-the-box traffic arriving at the management port will be dropped  implicitly. This cannot be disabled.

• The shared management port cannot be used as a part of a high availability configuration.

If  the ASA management port (M0/0) on the ASA 5500 Series appliance was  being used as a data port, the configuration associated with that port  should be moved to one of the gigabit data ports numbered above G0/3.

Source:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps5708/ps5709/ps6120/guide_c07-727453.html

Though I guess you have to take into consideration when we compare the old ASA5500 Series and the new ASA5500-X that the new series actually has 2 more physical interfaces than all previous corresponding models had.

Though it still might feel a waste of a Gigabit interface in a sense.

Hope this helps

Please remember to mark the reply as the correct answer if it answered your question.

- Jouni

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card