cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5516-X shuts down Inside interface after reboot or inactivity

AirspanIT
Level 1
Level 1

Hi experts. I recently got ASA 5516-X for my company and when I switch it off and on again I cant get access to the Inside interface via SSH or ASDM - it does not Ping either. The only way I can get the port to start working again is if I access the ASA via console port and ping a machine from it located on my LAN. This somehow wakes up the port and it starts functioning. The same behaviour also occurs if the ASA is left on for a few hours without activity. The Inside port just shuts down. I would really like it to be available for access all the time and not shut down the port.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

4 Replies 4

mkazam001
Level 3
Level 3

Pinging the interface from the lan should work by default, once its been configured & saved, as opposed to pinging through the asa.

I would ask Cisco TAC to take a look at the hardware.

Regards, mk

Thanks MK. It doesn't however seem like a hardware fault and more like a security setting or some configuration that blocks any SSH/ASDM access or Ping to the inside port - after certain interval of inactivity or once the ASA has been restarted. its annoying as I need to connect via console and ping something from within the ASA to get the port working/unblocked again. i think it is something new they have implemented in the ASA 5500-X series with Firepower services as I have configured many ASAs before and never had this issue. 

Can anyone assist please?

There are chances that the ASA Hardware has some issue. But can also explore the possibility that your layer 2 Switch might be causing issue. 

You can try connecting the ASA directly and check. 

Bhaggu.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: