Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5525-X Multiple Context Web Security Essentials Licensing

justin.b.pruitt
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am purchasing a 5525-X IPS Edition model firewall with 5 security context licenses.  I have a question about licensing.  When activating a feature license, such as Web Security Essentials, do you actiavte it under the firewall context or under the admin context.  The reason I am asking is that I am trying to figure out how may Web Security Essentials licesnes to buy.  Do we buy 1 for the device, or 1 for each context?

Thanks in advance,

Justin

9 Replies 9

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You would enable the license under the system context. The license covers all the security contexts. As of today, you can't run WSE and IPS. The software for that is supposed to be released soon. The rumor is that it will not be running full IPS, only a subset of features.

Hope it helps.

Actually the IPS for NGFW (CX) was slipstreamed in to 9.2 CX software last month. It's just not orderable quite yet. :)

It does have less configuration options than the classic Cisco IPS but it is better in other ways. The subscription service should be orderable this month.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Marvin Rhoads wrote:

Actually the IPS for NGFW (CX) was slipstreamed in to 9.2 CX software last month. It's just not orderable quite yet.

It does have less configuration options than the classic Cisco IPS but it is better in other ways. The subscription service should be orderable this month.

Hi Marvin, any idea if it will support multiple security contexts? We don't get a proper update on the NG IPS until next week and I can't reach our Security SE

The NGFW IPS does support multi-context mode ASA.

However the policies on the IPS itself are global (like those for the earlier CX WSE and AVC features) so they are common across all contexts that are directing traffic to it via their respective service policies.

The events (in PRSM) will display the name of the context whose traffic triggered the event.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Marvin!

You're welcome. Please rate it if the answer was helpful.

i need to state a correction..

the IPS or WSE/AVC virtual appliances are not available under multi-context by now.

even on 9.1 asa code.

so take this in care before buy the context and the WSE/AVC or IPS or both.

best regards

had a great day . best regards, and rate if you'll find this post useful

That is exactly what I needed to know.  Thank you!

You're welcome. Please rate helpful replies and mark your question as answered.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card