Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5545 X series - Through put

alanc3141592654
Level 1
Level 1

Hey All,

We may be deploying the 5545 x series as an internal firewall with the IPS funtion.

My query is around through put.

The datasheet says it has 900mb IPS through put, and multi bus architecture.

So, is it 900mb per interface ? or 900mb split?

Many Thanks,

6 Replies 6

The throughput is always for the whole system. But for an internal Firewall, perhaps you don't have to send the compete traffic to the IPS and so you get a higher performance.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

So 8 interfaces share 900 mb throughput for the 5545-x series?

I would of thought multi bus means each bus gets dedicated through put etc?

The ASA/IPS has a finite amount of processing-power. It doesn't matter over how many interfaces the traffic is transported. The multiple busses are importaant for the placement of your systems. You won't reach the system limit if you reach the limit of the bus before that.

-- 
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:
http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni

I'm after information about the multibus architecture and how the 900mb throughput correlates to it.

i.e 4 interfaces shared throughput? 900mb shared over all 8 interfaces.

I know with nexus, the 10gb interface bandwidth is shared between 4 interfaces. So i thought it may of been something like that.

Or maybe 900mb is it for the whole device...

thanks for the reply though

ok, it seems all 8 interfaces share the same bus.

expansion modules utilise a 2nd bus.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: