Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA-5555 Copper Interface Expansion

alsayegh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

I would like to expand ASA-5555 with a 6-port GbE card to have a total of 14 RJ-45 ports so I can use it as a replacement for my old catalyst switch. The ordering information table lists two part numbers for the card: ASA-IC-6GE-CU-C and ASA-IC-6GE-CU-C=. The latter is indicated as a "spare".

What is the difference between the non-spare and the spare cards? Which one should I buy?

Is there a reason why I should have a regular switch on my network if I only have 14 or less connected devices and I want them to be all protected by the firewall?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There's no difference in the physical parts that the two SKUs specify.

The "=" suffix denotes the part when bought separate from an initial order ) or as a separate top-level line item in an order.

The SKU with an "=" suffix is used when you are building a bill of materials and Cisco provides the expansion card along with the ASA itself.

By the way, that distinction applies to many many Cisco SKUs.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Personally ASA  is Firewall, Switch is Switch, there is no reason mixing 2 roles in to one. until you have less devices.

if you have more than 10 Device, i suggest to use switch, if not you have all dependency on one device if that fails.

in belive same cost you can but good switch for atleast Layer 2.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello BB,

I have my own reasons, such as space limitation and power consumption. I need all my devices firewalled, so why put a switch in between if I can connect them all to the firewall?

Best regards.

I have suggest best approach to make it better, if you understand the risk and dependency, that is your requirement - then i do not have any comments or suggest to offer here for now.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There's no difference in the physical parts that the two SKUs specify.

The "=" suffix denotes the part when bought separate from an initial order ) or as a separate top-level line item in an order.

The SKU with an "=" suffix is used when you are building a bill of materials and Cisco provides the expansion card along with the ASA itself.

By the way, that distinction applies to many many Cisco SKUs.

Marvin,

Well explained. Thank you.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card