cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 8.4 etherchannel with Sub Interfaces

corey.book
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to figure out how to create an etherchannel with sub-interfaces on an asa 5520 running 8.4.1 code.  It doesn't seem to allow me to configure any type of sub interface on the port-channel or anywhere else once I create it.  Does anyone know if this is supported, and if so, would you show an example config?  I have been searching a while on this and can't seem to find out how.  Thank you much!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Anu M Chacko
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Corey,

Do you see any specific error message? Here is a doc on how to configure a subint on etherchannel:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa84/configuration/guide/interface_start.html#wp1082576

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Anu

P.S. Please mark the question as answered if it has been resolved. Do rate helpful posts!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Anu M Chacko
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Corey,

Do you see any specific error message? Here is a doc on how to configure a subint on etherchannel:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa84/configuration/guide/interface_start.html#wp1082576

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Anu

P.S. Please mark the question as answered if it has been resolved. Do rate helpful posts!

I haven't seen this exact document.  I will try this and let you know what I find out.  Thanks Anu!

You cannot create etherchannel from sub-interfaces however you can create sub-interfaces of etherchannel interface as this essentially becomes a single bundle port so creating a sub-interface on physical or etherchannel interface is same.

Ok so I figured it out.  You have to apply the "channel-group " command to the physical interfaces first before you can start creating sub-interfaces on the Port-channel.  I was trying to create sub-interfaces on the port channel first, and every time that I put entered "interface port-channel 1.10" it would error out.  Thanks for all the help.

Is this etherchannel sub-interface have a layer 3 config on it..or is it strictly layer 2 with the vlan id.

Can you post your config

I am trying do something similar.  Thanks

I want to create L3 port-channels sub-interfaces with vlan id.

On older models 5505s, you can L3 SVI, with the interfaces have L2 switchport access

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card