Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 8.4 in multiple context mode with different amounts of context licenses

silla
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everybody,

I have two ASA 5510 in an Active/Active failover configuration; On the first ASA I have a license for five security contexts, on the second one I have the default two. On the pair I configured seven security contexts and everything works as expected; so far so good. Let's suppose now that the first ASA (the one with the license for 5 contexts) goes up in smoke; all the contexts migrate to the surviving firewall and life is still good. But what happens if, for some reason, I need to reboot the second ASA before the first one is repaired? My guess is that it will come up with just its own license for two contexts and that I will not be able to operate all my virtual firewalls. Can someone confirm or dispel my suspicion?

Thank you very much,

Silla Rizzoli

2 Replies 2

lcambron
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

The license is share from the primary ASA to the standby, if the secondary reloads while in active state and it can't detect the primary ASA, it will boot up with its own license, meaning with only 2 context.

Regards,

Felipe.

Security Team.

Icambron,

thank you very much for your speedy answer!

Best regards,

Silla Rizzoli

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card