aaa-server ISE_TACACS protocol tacacs+
aaa-server ISE_TACACS (inside) host A.B.C.D
key *******

aaa authentication http console ISE_TACACS LOCAL
aaa authentication ssh console ISE_TACACS LOCAL
aaa authorization exec authentication-server
aaa accounting ssh console ISE_TACACS
aaa authentication serial console LOCAL

We are facing intermittent 'RPC Logon failures' errors on ISE and our login fail, does this event qualify for authentication fall back to Local? If yes, then it is not falling back.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I believe if the ASA sees the Server as reachable then it will not fallback to device local, which is happening in your case.

Within ISE, you could potentially setup a local user account in the ISE database and fall back to the Internal Database in the event of issues with AD/ISE. In your identity source sequence you are using for device policy sets, have Internal Users next in line. I don't have access to ISE at the moment to look into this properly though.

If I was you I would focus on fixing the ISE/AD issue as your solution.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

GRANT3779
Spotlight
Spotlight

I'm assuming the RPC failures are between ISE and your AD environment?

I would not think this qualifies as a fallback method if the TACACs server/s are reachable/ACTIVE from the ASA, eg if showing

sh aaa-server
......................................truncated

Server Group: TACACS
Server Protocol: tacacs+
Server Address: 10.40.0.10
Server port: 49
Server status: ACTIVE, Last transaction at 12:43:36 BST Tue May 21 2019

Thank you.

Yes, it is between AD and ISE (with Cisco and MS blaming each other!)

I can't login to the firewall when this happens, so how can I even confirm the last successfull transaction? When ISE starts working, obviously the last successful transaction will have no meaning for me.

I believe if the ASA sees the Server as reachable then it will not fallback to device local, which is happening in your case.

Within ISE, you could potentially setup a local user account in the ISE database and fall back to the Internal Database in the event of issues with AD/ISE. In your identity source sequence you are using for device policy sets, have Internal Users next in line. I don't have access to ISE at the moment to look into this properly though.

If I was you I would focus on fixing the ISE/AD issue as your solution.

That makes sense, thanks a lot.

I think you would need to amend or create a new one within the actual Identity Source Sequence itself, under identity management. Depends on what else you use it for.

I agree with the above post.  The server will fail to local if the AAA server is not reachable.  Examples are, the server is down or an ACL is blocking the request. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card