cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA and spanning tree

daddum61
Level 1
Level 1

does an ASA 5506 support spanning tree ?

i need to connect a ring to it on the external side

10 Replies 10

Muhammad Awais Khan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

ASA does not support spanning tree what I have seen so far.

Can you elaborate more about connectivity of Ring and your concern ? 

existing 3750 ----- asa 5506 ======ring around a load of westermo industrial switches

i need one connection on the inside of the asa and 2 on the outside for the ring, if the ring breaks then i need spanning tree to keep it working

In that case you can configure your 2 outside interface part of same Bridge-group which is connected to Ring. 

does the asa 5506 allow for 2 outside ports ?

ASA5506-X  1 - 8 interfaces and 1 management port. you can configured the interface according to your requirement.

please do not forget to rate.

will this work in routed mode ?

Yes Routed mode and even work in Transparent mode.

but the cisco web site says

"Routed mode only supports routed interfaces. Transparent firewall mode only supports bridge group and BVI interfaces."

ASA 5506x support the BVI feature in Routed mode and also support it in Transparent mode. here link.

well i had a little play with this

created a ring of 3 x 3560 switches

connected each end of the ring into the firewall

setup a ping from one switch to another and then broke the ring and the STP works fine

however,

if i setup a ping from the firewall to sw1 and then fail the link between the firewall sw1 my ping fails for around 5 mins however when i reconnect firewall to sw1 it switches back in a few seconds

with everything connected the port that normally blocks is in between sw1 and sw2

ASA-----sw1--[blocking]--sw2---sw3--¬

|____________________________|

so why does it take 5 mins to realize that i pulled the link between firewall and sw1 ?

is it due to the mac table ?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card