cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA clustering base license maximum contexts ?

Hello Team,

we have two ASA 5585-x running in cluster, I would like to know how many contexts we can create ? 

if we are able to create total 4 contexts ( default with a base license )  then what would happen if one of the cluster member is down leaving just one active member in the cluster. will still 4 contexts would be liver and serving the traffic?

did anyone experience this , I would like to know more based on the experience. I didn't find any cisco doco explaining the same.

Questions :

What happens when one unit experiences outage?

Does the surviving unit still have 4 contexts and if so for how long?

Thanks,

Prashant

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Prashant ,

In the event of the loss of one member, all four contexts will remain available for up to 30 days. 

Please refer to the following documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa96/configuration/general/asa-96-general-config/intro-license.html#ID-2148-00000a8a

The important guidance contained there tells us:

If the units lose communication for more than 30 days, then each unit reverts to the license installed locally. During the 30-day grace period, the combined running license continues to be used by all units.

Thanks Marvin,hence it must not be a good idea to rely on the base license for a production network.

As it can lead to some unexpected results. I will be buying license that can accommodate new 5 contexts.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card