cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA Contexts and Syslog

Julian Regel
Level 1
Level 1

If I have an ASA with 5 security contexts enabled, how is syslog handled? Is it on a per-context basis, or centrally from the admin context?

I'm evaluating a logging solution that is licensed per "device", where each device is a unique syslog source. I don't know whether to plan for one device (as all logging is handled by the admin context), five devices (one per context) or six (one per context + admin context).

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes. The admin context is just as any other context, it's just named admin (by default) and has access to the system context.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hi

Each context will send its own logging messages, so count for 5 seperate devices.

Thanks for the reply. As I've not yet used contexts, does the admin context also have its own syslog source?

Edit: Having just done some more reading, am I right in thinking the admin context is actually one of the five available contexts? So, you actually get four contexts plus an admin context?

Yes. The admin context is just as any other context, it's just named admin (by default) and has access to the system context.

Thanks for the clarification!

The Admin context is indeed a separate context, but won't count on the context usage (by license) on the ASA itself. So a 5-conext license would give you 5 functional contexts + the Admin
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card