Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA CX install problem

Hi,

I have a communication problem from the ASA CX boot image and can not install the SW because of that.

I'm following the quick setup guide: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/quick_start/cx/cx_qsg.html#wp51233

On the CX I can't ping the network or the DefGW. But when I ping from the network and (of course) the DefGW I get a reply from the CX module.

I'm a bit lost so what could be blocking the traffic for the CX module? Anything in ASA as of this being a SW module?

Running ASA 5525-X 9.1(4) and ASA CX 9.2.1.2-77 boot image.

Ping from CX (172.16.1.113)

asa-cx-02-boot>ping 172.16.1.1
PING 172.16.1.1 (172.16.1.1): 56 data bytes

--- 172.16.1.1 ping statistics ---
7 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss

Ping from DefGW. (172.16.1.1)

Core#ping 172.16.1.113
Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 172.16.1.113, timeout is 2 seconds:
!!!!!
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 1/5/9 ms

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Physically are you using the M0/0 interface? That is what your CX management connection will bind to and it must be used.

If you also have a management address configured on M0/0 is the ASA, it must be in the same subnet (but on a different IP address).

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

A correction,

I get a response on ICMP from the DefGW because of a IP conflict.

Now when I try, with a new IP address, it behaves same on both boxes, no response in or out from CX. (have a pair)

I have restarted the boot image with a partition twice but with the same result.

Is there any form for troubleshooting I can do on the ASA? Any asp drop or debug output to look for?

Cheers 

Physically are you using the M0/0 interface? That is what your CX management connection will bind to and it must be used.

If you also have a management address configured on M0/0 is the ASA, it must be in the same subnet (but on a different IP address).

No the ASA is not using M0/0 but Inside for management... But now when I read this again I see that I need to use the M0/0 for CX. I misunderstood that one, I thought that I could use Inside but it actually say M0/0 for ASA CX and Inside for ASA.

Easy to miss :-)

Thanks!

If you have only one inside network, then you cannot also have a separate management network. In this case, you can manage the ASA from the inside interface instead of the Management 0/0 interface. If you remove the ASA-configured name from the Management 0/0 interface, you can still configure the ASA CX IP address for that interface. Because the ASA CX module is essentially a separate device from the ASA, you can configure the ASA CX management address to be on the same network as the inside interface.

Yes, that is confusing at first. Especially so since it contrasts from the behavior of the ASA. It's sort of a hybrid of the behavior of a CSC module (always use a dedicated hardware port) and that of a base ASA (Management port available but use is optional).

It took me three readings of the setup document to follow the language and I had the benefit of a deep dive training with hands-on lab to drill the need into my head. :)

Thanks for the rating - glad it helped.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card