cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA failover key

N3t W0rK3r
Level 3
Level 3

Can I issue the "failover key" on an active ASA in an A/S HA pair without impacting service?  How would I get this command onto the other ASA because I assume that as soon as I issue the command on the active unit, I will break the failover pair and lose access to the standby unit.

Thanks in advance.

John

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ajay Saini
Level 7
Level 7

Hi John,

It would be recommended to add the failover in a controlled maintenance window even if you have out-of-band access to both devices.

The failover key needs to be added to both devices simultaneously, I mean add to both and execute almost at same time(press enter). Better do in a maintenance window, but from a functionality perspective, there is no such document which states that this can or can not be done during normal working hours.

As a good practice, any failover process related options should be planned.

FYI, I have seen people doing it on the fly and being successful, but its a call that you have to take.

HTH
AJ

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Ajay Saini
Level 7
Level 7

Hi John,

It would be recommended to add the failover in a controlled maintenance window even if you have out-of-band access to both devices.

The failover key needs to be added to both devices simultaneously, I mean add to both and execute almost at same time(press enter). Better do in a maintenance window, but from a functionality perspective, there is no such document which states that this can or can not be done during normal working hours.

As a good practice, any failover process related options should be planned.

FYI, I have seen people doing it on the fly and being successful, but its a call that you have to take.

HTH
AJ

I agree that any change should be completed during maintenance window.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: