Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA Failover Pair Memory

cwwong1973
Level 1
Level 1

Guys,

According to the documentation, the memory for the ASA failover pair has to be identical.

This is my situation, I have RMA the primary ASA due to hardware issues.

The original ASA comes with 512MB while the replacement comes with 3GB.

Will the replacement ASA with 3GB work well with its standby ASA with 512MB.

If it doesnt then i will need to raise another RMA to have the 3GB replaced with 512MB due to the condition above.

Any advise?

Thanks and regards

Wong                  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mvsheik123
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Yes.. you need same amount of RAM on failover units to operate correctly. Few options...

1. if the faulty unit is still with you, you can swap the memory from that unit.

2. Purchase addl memory for the existing unit than sending back 3GB. --. recomended.

3. Schedule a down time, andtry to remove memory from RMAd unit and install in existing unit. hat wya you can try to balance memory in both units and still get extra memory.- iam not sure how well this work, but a thought.

Thx

MS

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Mizanul Islam
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Please see the below link. I think it will be help you.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-17345

Regards

Parosh

Thanks Mizanul...is the link you provided correct? its about capturing information for firewall.

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

You can run both ASA for failover even the though other unit has a different flash memory size.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/pix-500-series-security-appliances/77809-pixfailover.html

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

mvsheik123
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Yes.. you need same amount of RAM on failover units to operate correctly. Few options...

1. if the faulty unit is still with you, you can swap the memory from that unit.

2. Purchase addl memory for the existing unit than sending back 3GB. --. recomended.

3. Schedule a down time, andtry to remove memory from RMAd unit and install in existing unit. hat wya you can try to balance memory in both units and still get extra memory.- iam not sure how well this work, but a thought.

Thx

MS

Thanks everyone for your comments....i am planning to replace the 3GB memory with the old memory 512MB. Was just wondering earlier if something might have changed (maybe newer OS versions can support differernt DRAM memory size for failover pairs)

Cheers

Wong

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: