Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA OS version choice

svetlinski
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have an ASA 5516X running 9.5(2) and we need to upgrade the OS, in order to get a feature to edit the AnyConnect Connection Profile Options (XML). We were advised to go on to 9.6(2) which is the currently recommended version, but I can see that 9.9.1 is the most recent version. 

What would people recommend that we upgrade to and why? Is the latest version stable?

Thank you in advance for your opinion/advice.

4 Replies 4

GioGonza
Level 4
Level 4

Hello @svetlinski

I would say go for version 9.6(2) since it is recommended from Cisco and the reason should for the stability you can get with this version. Now even though there is new versions of the ASA, I wouldn´t recommend them since they are really new and probably it can come with Bugs that were not identified when those versions were being tested by the developers. 

I would go safe with the recommended one and then wait for another stable version. 

HTH

Gio

Hi @GioGonza,

Thank you for your reply.

I think we will stick to 9.6(2) version, for those exact reasons.

Kind Regards,

svetlinski

I would not use 9.6(2) but the newest 9.6 interims-version which is 9.6(2)23 at the moment. These versions get the newest security-fixes until a new minor version is published.

If you deploy many VPNs, using 9.8(2)15 (which is the newest 9.8 interim-version at the moment) is also a good choice. It's already very stable and has many new features that can improve your deployment.

Hi,

Thank you for your very useful reply. We will be sure to consider 9.8, as you mention.

Kind Regards,

svetlinski

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card