cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

asa5505 dhcp question

fran19422
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, looking at the ASA5505 outside interface connection options I see there is one called "obtain address via dhcp".

I am trying to understand how this would work.

So you would have a modem connected between your firewall and the ISP. The modem connects to the ISP.

The ISP would issue an address via DHCP. The modem simply passes this DHCP address allocation through to the firewall behind it ?

Do you need to activate a special setting on your modem to allow that address through to the firewall ?

Thanks for any clarification.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

lcambron
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I guess this is something to confirm with your ISP.

They need to setup DHCP on their end.

Regards,

Felipe.

Remember to rate useful posts.

View solution in original post

As Felipe has mentioned for configuration of your modem, which presumably is provided by your ISP, you would need to contact your ISP for the correct settings.

But generally speaking, you would need to configure your ASA 5505 outside interface to send dhcp requests, and in turn your ISP modem, router, etc. would respond with an IP address for your ASA.

The outside interface configuration would be as follows:

interface gig0/1

description OUTSIDE_INTERFACE

ip address dhcp setroute

The setroute keyword will automatically set the default route next hop, so you do not have to configure the default route each time your IP address changes.

--
Please remember to rate and select a correct answer

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

lcambron
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I guess this is something to confirm with your ISP.

They need to setup DHCP on their end.

Regards,

Felipe.

Remember to rate useful posts.

As Felipe has mentioned for configuration of your modem, which presumably is provided by your ISP, you would need to contact your ISP for the correct settings.

But generally speaking, you would need to configure your ASA 5505 outside interface to send dhcp requests, and in turn your ISP modem, router, etc. would respond with an IP address for your ASA.

The outside interface configuration would be as follows:

interface gig0/1

description OUTSIDE_INTERFACE

ip address dhcp setroute

The setroute keyword will automatically set the default route next hop, so you do not have to configure the default route each time your IP address changes.

--
Please remember to rate and select a correct answer

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card