cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5506-X Configuration/network position!

Imma
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

To increase the network security in a small business network I want to install a ASA5506-X firewall.

The problem is that I am not sure where to locate the firewall. 

There are two ISP lines (PPPoE connection) configured in a Mikrotik router. 

May anyone advice me where to place the Firewall: in front of the router or after it?

Thank you in advanced,

Kind Regards,

Denisa

17 Replies 17

if you have ASDM, check on the real time logs shows you what is the reason it was dropped ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

hi Balaji,

yes I have configured ASDM access.

I can see logs like the one below, when I try to open pages that are being blocked by ASA:

4 Jul 07 2019 15:36:27 113.255.38.74 12113 192.168.2.131 18231 Deny udp src outside_Abissnet:113.255.38.74/12113 dst LAN_PCstore:192.168.2.131/18231 by access-group "outside_Abissnet_access_in" [0x0, 0x0]

I dont understand why! When I first connected today I was able to open every page. Suddenly now the access for some pages is disappeared! As I understand, ASA is state-full FW, it must allow the reply back of the requests that are initiated from inside.

ciscoasa# show run access-list
access-list outside_Abcom_access_in extended permit tcp any object VOIP-192.168.3.33 eq sip
access-list outside_Abcom_access_in extended permit object-group DM_INLINE_SERVICE_1 any object test-192.168.2.131
access-list outside_Abissnet_access_in extended permit tcp any object VOIP-192.168.3.33 eq sip
access-list outside_Abissnet_access_in extended permit object test-7070 any object test-192.168.2.131

ciscoasa# show run access-group
access-group outside_Abissnet_access_in in interface outside_Abissnet
access-group outside_Abcom_access_in in interface outside_Abcom

I have attached some other Deny logs also

Thank you,

Denisa

Hi all,

sorry my late reply. I have been on holiday.

ASA was denying some pages because of an access rule (open port 7070) that I created for testing purposes. With this access rule I just open the port 7070 (realserver) on ASA for my laptop. And I don't know Why access-group outside_Abissnet_access_in in interface outside_Abissnet resulted in denying some pages

Thank you,

Kind Regards,

Denisa

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card