cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5506-X problem with Edgewater router

tato386
Level 6
Level 6

We have a fiber based connection from our ISP that uses an on-prem Edgewater device.  The connection uses a /29 IP block with the first IP as the gateway, the second IP reserved for the ISP's voice server (Edgewater device itself maybe?) and the third IP I am using for an SA520 firewall.

I am trying to switch out the SA520 for the ASA5506-X but when I do the ASA fails to ping the first IP of the block and therefore does not get out to the Internet.  I tried using the remaining IPs in the block and still no go.  The ISP says all is fine and indeed, if I test with a laptop all the IPs appear to work perfectly.

The ASA works OK at other sites so I kept troubleshooting and found something interesting.  I noticed that the ASA is able to ping the default gateway for a few seconds after it is connected and then it stops.  I started playing around with the MAC address of the ASA and found that each time I change the MAC address to some random address it will ping the default GW for a few seconds and then stop.

I am not sure what this means but I am pretty sure it can be used to solve the problem.  Before I forward this info to the ISP I wanted to get some feedback so I can help solve this.  Thoughts?

Rgds,
Diego

2 Replies 2

Florin Barhala
Level 6
Level 6
Maybe you need to map the old SA520 Internet MAC address to the ASA_outside interface.

I guess I can test that at some point but I don't want to do that yet because the ISP says it is not necessary.  I should be able to add several devices to that gateway and use all of my available IPs.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card