cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5510 internal flash requirement for IOS 8.2(5) upgrade

tsabsuavyaj
Level 1
Level 1

Currently my ASA5510 has a 64MB internal flash.  Does the ASA require a higher capacity flash for an IOS upgrade from 7.2(x) to 8.2(x)?  The Cisco Release Notes does not state any internal flash requirement, but just wanted to double check.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

It seems to me that the 8.2(5) takes around 15MB of space. ASA 7.2(5) is around 8MB if I'm not mistaken. ASDM for 7.2 IOS seems to be around 6MB. So I would imagine that the IOS/ASDM images alone atleast wouldnt prevent you from getting new IOS to the Flash as there should be plenty of space. To my knowledge there shouldnt be any requirements related to Flash other than in the general sense that you shouldnt keep it in a situation where its almost full.

How is your situation on the Flash at the moment? How much free space do you have? Do you have any extra images on the Flash that could be safely removed?

Personally I would try to keep atleast the current IOS on the Flash until you have confirmed everything is ok with the new one.

If you want you could list "show version" and "dir flash:" output here to see your situation.

I have gotten so used to having enough Flash memory on the new models that I have almost forgotten the times with the old PIX models where you had 16MB Flash and you basically had to remove the ASDM image everytime you wanted to upgrade the IOS

Basic way then was to

• Delete current ASDM
  • Load up the new IOS to Flash
  • Update the Firewall and confirm normal operation
  • Delete the old IOS from Flash
  • Upload previous or new ASDM software back to Flash

I have never had to get addiotional Flash memory so far when I have upgraded ASAs.

- Jouni

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

It seems to me that the 8.2(5) takes around 15MB of space. ASA 7.2(5) is around 8MB if I'm not mistaken. ASDM for 7.2 IOS seems to be around 6MB. So I would imagine that the IOS/ASDM images alone atleast wouldnt prevent you from getting new IOS to the Flash as there should be plenty of space. To my knowledge there shouldnt be any requirements related to Flash other than in the general sense that you shouldnt keep it in a situation where its almost full.

How is your situation on the Flash at the moment? How much free space do you have? Do you have any extra images on the Flash that could be safely removed?

Personally I would try to keep atleast the current IOS on the Flash until you have confirmed everything is ok with the new one.

If you want you could list "show version" and "dir flash:" output here to see your situation.

I have gotten so used to having enough Flash memory on the new models that I have almost forgotten the times with the old PIX models where you had 16MB Flash and you basically had to remove the ASDM image everytime you wanted to upgrade the IOS

Basic way then was to

• Delete current ASDM
  • Load up the new IOS to Flash
  • Update the Firewall and confirm normal operation
  • Delete the old IOS from Flash
  • Upload previous or new ASDM software back to Flash

I have never had to get addiotional Flash memory so far when I have upgraded ASAs.

- Jouni

Very good, this is what I need to know. Thank you!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card