Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5510: Unable to connect to console port

Adam David
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm having a problem to connect into a console port at ASA5510. I've followed exactly step below but I'm not sure why I can't connect to it. Before this I can connect but somehow when I try it again, it won't work. Please advise.

Step 3     Connect to the Console port.

a.     Before connecting a computer or terminal to any ports, check to determine the baud rate of the serial port. The baud rate must match the default baud rate (9600 baud) of the Console port of the adaptive security appliance.

Set up the terminal as follows: 9600 baud (default), 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bits, and Flow Control (FC) = Hardware.

b.     Locate the serial console cable, which has an RJ-45 connector on one end and a DB-9 connector on the other end for the serial port on your computer.

c.     Connect the RJ-45 connector to the Console port of the adaptive security appliance as shown in Figure 6-2.

d.     Connect the DB-9 connector to the console port on your computer.

Figure 6-2     Connecting the Console Cable

RJ-45 Console port

RJ-45 to DB-9 console cable

Reference:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/getting_started/asa5500/quick/guide/intfcs.html

1 Reply 1

August Ritchie
Level 1
Level 1

Can you try using putty to connect? Double that Serial is selected and that the correct Com port is on. What happens if you reboot the device while consoled in, do you get any sort of output? Do you have lights on the front and are the fans spinning, basically any sign that the hardware isn't working correctly?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card