cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASAMAC

Rafael Jimenez
Level 4
Level 4

I have a asa5505. Im trying to setup two isps. Both ISPs requested the mac of the device.

Which is the MAC that  should I provide? , the internal mac, or the interface mac?.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

gurpsin2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Rafa,

They must be looking for the Mac of outside interface of ASA. You could find it in " show interface g0/1"(assuming g0/1 is outside interface) , in case you are using a redundant outside interfCe on ASA S backup, so you can provide Mac of backup interface as well

Regards

Gurpreet

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

gurpsin2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Rafa,

They must be looking for the Mac of outside interface of ASA. You could find it in " show interface g0/1"(assuming g0/1 is outside interface) , in case you are using a redundant outside interfCe on ASA S backup, so you can provide Mac of backup interface as well

Regards

Gurpreet

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hello Gurpreet,

I know that you said that the mac address must be the interface-mac. But I have a doubt now because the docs said

the mac used by the asa is the burnet-in mac. See bellow.

I gived to the isp2 the burned-in mac address, but they said that do not see any traffic.

To test the link, I just clone the burned-in mac in another cisco RV042 router and I got connection to internet.

In this moment Im not sure if the absence of traffic is due to the isp2 has a wrong mac.

I have configured the default routes to the other isp (isp1). Despite of this I think the isp2 should see some traffic.

There is something to do before call the isp2 and register the interface mac?.

DOCS:

==========================================

I just read in the ASDM documentation the following:

MAC Address Overview

By default, the physical interface uses the burned-in MAC address, and all subinterfaces of a physical interface use the same burned-in MAC address.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card