cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASDM and Windows 10 - Display issues

aamsq11
Level 1
Level 1

I have ASDM 7.6(1) and latest version of java (Version 8 Update 9) installed. When I log in to ASDM my display is not to the scale, it is a messed up view. I don't know how to fix this issue - I tried downgrading java which didn't help. Not sure if this issue in windows 10 or what. Please help. Pictures attached below.  

FIXED: used this solution, look in the comments. - https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/13047676/asdm-7-6-1-font-size-too-small#comment-11675651 

15 Replies 15

Aditya Ganjoo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

What is the ASA version ?

Also please try to add the ASDM ip in the JAVA exception list and clear the JAVA cache and then test.

Regards,

Aditya

Please rate helpful posts and mark correct answers.

Thanks Aditya, I will try to do that and let you know if it worked. My ASA version 9.4(2).11. 

Hi Aditya, I tried your suggestion but it didn't work for me :( I am not sure what is the root problem for it. Please let me know if you need more information from me which may help to resolve my issue. 

Thanks. 

Hi Ameer,

Did you try using any other Win 10 machine ?

Regards,

Aditya

Please rate helpful posts and mark correct answers.

No I didn't try on another win 10 but I did try on Ubuntu vm - it works fine but the font is too small on it. 

I found similar post who is having same issue - https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/13047676/asdm-7-6-1-font-size-too-small

branfarm1
Level 4
Level 4

I've run into this issue in the past when I switch my laptop from external monitors to the built-in screen.  ASDM always has a problem when I go back to my external monitors.  In the past it has resolved itself 'magically' but I wish I knew what to change to force it back.

Edit:  I'm currently experiencing this issue and want to find a resolution, if any.

Agor
Level 1
Level 1

I found a simple solution from this link

https://superuser.com/questions/988379/how-do-i-run-java-apps-upscaled-on-a-high-dpi-display

In sammary, here is the answer

1. Find javaw.exe you installed. (C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath) for windows 10 x64
  2. Right click -> Properties
  3. Go to Compatibility tab
  4. Check Override high DPI scaling behavior.
  5. Choose System for Scaling performed by:

If javaw.exe does not work, try the other two java.exe or javaws.exe

You can always validate the actual Java executable being used by right clicking the ASDM application in Windows task manager and selecting "Open file location".

That will take you straight to the file whose properties need to be modified.

I do this quite often on my 4k display and it works like a charm for ASDM and other Java-based apps (AnyConnect Profile Editor for example).

In sammary, here is the answer

1. Find javaw.exe you installed. (C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath) for windows 10 x64
  2. Right click -> Properties
  3. Go to Compatibility tab
  4. Go to 'Settings' Check Override high DPI scaling behavior.
  5. Choose System for Scaling performed by:
  6. Also I did same step 4 & 5 change on "Change settings for All users" as well. See attach screenshots.

@subasu99

Good instructions - thanks for sharing.

I would only add to be sure to repeat those steps every time a Java update is installed.

This step helped me out to find the exact java file that i need to modify. Thank you!

Excellent tip Marvin. Worked for me. Very helpful. Thank you!

Perfect

Worked like a charm !!!

Worked for me. Very helpful. Thanks!

As far as finding the actual file to modify, Marvin has indicated best way to follow using the Task Manager.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card