cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASDM "this app can't run on your PC" - Windows 10

patrick.hurley
Level 3
Level 3

I am getting this error when trying to launch ASDM.   New install of Windows 10 Professional.  I have been running this successfully on other Windows 10 PCs.  Has anyone seen this and know the fix?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Scott Pettit
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Patrick,

I hit this on a new W10 machine and tracked the issue down to the newer W10 builds silently swapping the Windows Scripting Host path for "compatibility" which causes that compatibility error.

If you go into Start > Cisco ASDM-IDM Launcher > right click the launcher and go to More > Open file location

Then you'll be looking at the shortcut to the ASDM launcher, right click it and go to Properties and look at the Target. You'll see a long path to wscript.exe - change this to C:\Windows\System32\wscript.exe (leave the invisible.vbs run.bat on the end as these scripts are used to open up ASDM). After changing this I was able to launch ASDM fine.

-Scott

View solution in original post

Hi Scott,

I’m glad it helped.

Regards,
Rich

View solution in original post

153 Replies 153

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is the difference from other PC  ? what kind of user right you have ? is the Pre-Build corporate profile based windows 10 ?

https://windowsreport.com/app-cant-run-windows-10/

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello how do you solve this issue ?
I face this issue on window 10.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is the ASDM version?

Do you have Java installed? What version of Java?

ASDM 7.10 version Java 8 update 291 windows 10 pro 20H2

ASDM 7.10 Phiên bản Java 8 Cập nhật 291 windows 10 pro 20H2

This is either a corrupt registry key.  Run a registry cleaner program such as CCleaner and test.  If this doesn't solve the issue then the problem is most likely with Java.

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

Scott Pettit
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Patrick,

I hit this on a new W10 machine and tracked the issue down to the newer W10 builds silently swapping the Windows Scripting Host path for "compatibility" which causes that compatibility error.

If you go into Start > Cisco ASDM-IDM Launcher > right click the launcher and go to More > Open file location

Then you'll be looking at the shortcut to the ASDM launcher, right click it and go to Properties and look at the Target. You'll see a long path to wscript.exe - change this to C:\Windows\System32\wscript.exe (leave the invisible.vbs run.bat on the end as these scripts are used to open up ASDM). After changing this I was able to launch ASDM fine.

-Scott

Great solution!
C:\Windows\system32\wscript.exe invisible.vbs run.bat

Instead, I had this typical bloated bullcrap from Microsoft:
C:\Windows\servicing\LCU\Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~17763.253.1.4\amd64_microsoft-windows-scripting_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.17763.134_none_bd3aabce85fcad18\f\wscript.exe invisible.vbs run.bat

Thanks for posting the full target line!

C:\Windows\system32\wscript.exe invisible.vbs run.bat

You're welcome! Scott's solution meandered a bit and could have been more concise. I had to read it three times to make sense of it, which is why I found it more helpful to condense it to a single line.

excellent solution to work with windows 10

Hi Roberto,

Glad to know it work for you!!! Saludos!

Awesome solution! thank you for the effort and the post. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: