cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASDM "this app can't run on your PC" - Windows 10

patrick.hurley
Level 3
Level 3

I am getting this error when trying to launch ASDM.   New install of Windows 10 Professional.  I have been running this successfully on other Windows 10 PCs.  Has anyone seen this and know the fix?

153 Replies 153

@Scott Pettit wrote:

Hi Patrick,

I hit this on a new W10 machine and tracked the issue down to the newer W10 builds silently swapping the Windows Scripting Host path for "compatibility" which causes that compatibility error.

If you go into Start > Cisco ASDM-IDM Launcher > right click the launcher and go to More > Open file location

Then you'll be looking at the shortcut to the ASDM launcher, right click it and go to Properties and look at the Target. You'll see a long path to wscript.exe - change this to C:\Windows\System32\wscript.exe (leave the invisible.vbs run.bat on the end as these scripts are used to open up ASDM). After changing this I was able to launch ASDM fine.

-Scott

Alright, first off that worked!  Secondly how in the heck did you figure that one out?  And finally why is it doing this now?

C:\Windows\system32\wscript.exe invisible.vbs run.bat

Really is that simple, why on Earth was the install specifying:

C:\Windows\servicing\LCU\Package_for_RollupFix~31bf68562afr364e35~amd64~~17763.615.1.5\amd64_microsoft-windows-scripting_31bf34156afr364e35_10.0.17763.134_none_bd3aabce85fcad18\f\wscript.exe invisible.vbs run.bat ???

very helpful

Cool, happy to know it work for you

It does not work still.

Yes, I'm not able to run the app. It hangs and timeout.

What version are you using?

I'm running the following version:

Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software Version 9.1(7)29
Device Manager Version 7.9(2)152

[cid:image001.png@01D55CDF.B316B590]
Make sure you have the setting correct as in the screen shot. Also, try to run as Administrator.

did it worked?

I just put a shortcut to the asdm-launcher.jar from the ASDM directory and the ASDM came right up for me. Left it as a shortcut on my desktop.

Thanks Scott

worked for me. Thanks.

I'm not able to follow the solution.  Can someone please clarify the steps with more details?  After going to the file location, there are 6 different files there, so I'm not sure which one to click properties on.  Is it the one that says wscript.exe?  

Then after clicking properties, I don't understand how to make the suggested change. It's unclear. The only thing that can be edited it seem is the file name wscript.exe, but I couldn't enter a path in that box.  So how do I edit the path?

Also it's a bit confusing about what is meant by changing the path but also leaving part of the path in?  Can someone clarify what exactly I'm supposed to enter as the path, verbatum?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: