cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AWS ASAv not starting

rs101
Level 1
Level 1

I've created a new BYOL ASAv on AWS using an m4 machine type and it's having problems starting.

It performs the initial boot, platform type detection etc, then restarts. However, it then hangs on the screen below. It's been like it for about 20 minutes so far. I have two different AWS accounts (completely different organisations) and it's having the same problem on each one.

boot.png

7 Replies 7

luizsil
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello rs101,

Have you provisioned the correct number of interfaces?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa912/asav/quick-start-book/asav-912-qsg/asav_aws.html

Also confirm you have the correct machine type on AWS with ASAv compatibility table below:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/compatibility/asamatrx.html#id_65990

BR,

Luiz

The instance was created by AWS Marketplace, using the defaults of the Cisco template.

It uses a c4.large machine - one of the approved types - which only supports 2 network interfaces. 

But it doesn't even get as far as detecting interfaces. It hangs after the 'Booting the kernel' message.

Unfortunately you can't rely on the EC2 console output. Have you looked at the instance state to see if it's running and that the Status Checks show 2/2? It can take several minutes to get the ASAv running so that you can connect to it via SSH.

Thanks - just discovered that one.
I guess it's too much to expect for Cisco to actually put a useful message at the end of the boot sequence...

Ouch! We try our best but sometime public cloud limitations make it difficult.  :(

Not sure how the environment has a bearing on what messages might be displayed during bootup though?
We're evaluating a few other firewall options for our VPC and this is the only one is this uncommunicative during boot :-)

Rock Solid
Level 1
Level 1

I am facing the same with EVE, any one solved this issue 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: