Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth capability on ASA 5520's

Need a little help on figuring out how much bandwidth I can drive through a ASA 5520-VPN Plus running 8.2(5).

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

See the product data sheet.

It's about 450 Mbps of pure firewall inspection. If IPS and VPN services are used, those will typically reduce the overall throughput as listed in the data sheet.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

See the product data sheet.

It's about 450 Mbps of pure firewall inspection. If IPS and VPN services are used, those will typically reduce the overall throughput as listed in the data sheet.

Thanks Marvin,

I finally dug around enough and found the data.  Appreciate your time and response.

It also depends on traffic and configuration.  I can get about 620 Mbit/s across a 5520 in a test lab with a single TCP stream, similar to the specs.  An IPsec tunnel with AES and SHA1 can hit 300 Mbit/s, which is over the specs, though I suspect 3DES would be a lot slower.  But I can also suffer overruns and underruns on live traffic at a mere 50 Mbit/s when I have hundreds of clients.

-- Jim Leinweber, WI State Lab of Hygiene

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card