cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can an ASA Reference Multiple DNS Servers to Resolve FQDNs?

mwallette
Level 1
Level 1

Suppose you have an ASA with multiple connections to the Internet, and that some of your hosts on your inside networks will typically use one Internet connection, while other hosts will typically use the second connection.  In such a scenario, is there a way to configure the ASA to always query both ISP1 and ISP2's DNS servers to resolve FQDN's in the ACL's on the ASA?  It seems to me like the ASA will only try to use a single DNS server to resolve FQDN's; if the query succeeds, it doesn't query any additional name servers.  However, if a host on one of my internal networks receives a different IP address for a DNS query than the ASA received, then the ACL won't match the outgoing packet, and the ASA will reject the traffic.

For example, suppose I have the following (partial) config on my ASA:

object network INSIDE1-SUBNET

subnet 10.0.1.0 255.255.255.0

object network FOOBAR

fqdn foo.bar.com

access-list INSIDE1-IN extended permit tcp object INSIDE1-SUBNET object FOOBAR eq 80

access-list INSIDE1-IN extended deny ip any any

If a host on my INSIDE1-SUBNET queries ISP1's DNS server for host foo.bar.com and gets 172.16.10.80 for the IP address, but the ASA is using ISP2's DNS server and gets 172.17.10.80 for the IP address (which can happen with DNS round robin, cached services, etc.), then my ACL will deny the traffic, since 172.16.10.80 != 172.17.10.80.

There are a number of reasons why I can't simply have all of the hosts use the same DNS servers as the ASA, which I have omitted for the sake of brevity.  Assuming that I cannot break this constraint (it's a management decision well above my pay grade), how can I resolve this problem?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Bogdan Nita
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As far as I know the asa will query one dns server and if no answer move to the next one, so there is no simple solution to make fqdn work for dns servers responding with one IP at a time.

Solutions to this issue would be:

- have a single dns server answer the asa and clients

- use url filtering

HTH

Bogdan

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Bogdan Nita
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As far as I know the asa will query one dns server and if no answer move to the next one, so there is no simple solution to make fqdn work for dns servers responding with one IP at a time.

Solutions to this issue would be:

- have a single dns server answer the asa and clients

- use url filtering

HTH

Bogdan

That's pretty much what I expected, thanks.

Florin Barhala
Level 6
Level 6
I can only think of you spinning up an external DNS server that will reference all other DNS servers you need. Linux is much more flexible to whatever crazy scenario than ASA.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card