cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can ASA5510 2GE+3FE configure failover with older 5FE model?

teru-lei
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

My customer had a spare ASA5510 bought a few years before with 5 x FE and security plus license with HA. Now they would like to buy a new ASA5510 to configure HA with the spare one, but now the ASA5510 comes with 2GE+3FE. Can the two FW work in HA? Anybody tried this?

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Teru Lei

4 Replies 4

varrao
Level 10
Level 10

Hi Teru-Lei,

You need to have identical  hardware specifications for both the firewalls to be configured in a failover pair, so his mightb not work. Have a look at the requirement section in the doc:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a00807dac5f.shtml#req

They must be the same model, have the same number and types of interfaces, and the same amount of RAM.

Hope this helps:

Thanks,

Varun

Thanks,
Varun Rao

Thanks Varun. That's what I am confused. The BUN version of 5510 is still 5FE but security plus is 2GE+3FE, and it does not make sense for customer to buy a new pair just because Cisco change the model to 2GE+3FE... So I need to clarify it.

Hi Teru-Lei,

You would need to just buy the security-plus license for the old firewall as well, so that both the firewalls have the same license specifications. and both would be 2GE + 3FE.

Thanks,

Varun

Thanks,
Varun Rao

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card