cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I create a IPSec tunnel into an ASA-5500 for ASDM?

jimmyc_2
Level 1
Level 1

Two Questions:

One: I need to  access a remote ASA, using ASDM (SSL or TLS) from a workstation.

How do I make that as secure as possible?

Two:  If I choose to build an IPSec tunnel between the ASA at the workstartion and the remote ASA in the field,

would the access list specify interesting traffice be between the workstation IP addr and the Outside Interface on the remote ASA?

That would be the most secure method, right?

Many thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

You wont need command "management-access Outside" if your connecting to the remote devices external interface. The command I mentioned is needed if you want to establish a L2L VPN Connection between 2 sites and then connect to the remote device for management purposes through the L2L VPN and connect to it using its "inside" interface IP address.

I am not sure if the ASDM or SSH for example would really require VPN connection in addition to them but that is naturally your choice. After this you would essentially have an already secure connection going through an encrypted connection to the actual remote device.

- Jouni

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Do you have two devices on two seperat locations?

I would create an ipsec (L2L) tunnel between the two firwalls, if possible.

To do this you need to specify the endpoint ip in tunnel manager, a key, crytomap (ACL), NAT rules and ACL on the interface where your workstation are located.

Please come back with more information.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Please rate as helpful, if that would be the case. Thanx

I can handle the NAT, nonat, keys etc.

What would be the Access list?

Let's say the local PC is 10.10.10.5, which connect to the local ASA Inside Interf of 10.10.10.1.

The remote ASA Outside Interf ip address is 8.9.10.11.

Is the ACL for interesting traffic "permit host 10.10.10.5 host 8.9.10.11" ?

Hi,

Do notice that you have the option to connect to the ASA through its "inside" interface too. Atleast I think it should be possible with all the management types if the managed ASA is configured with "management-access inside"

What you say above should be correct if you configure NAT0 also for that traffic. I guess you could even leave out all NAT configurations and specify the interesting traffic as being from your ASAs public IP address to the remote ASA public IP address.

Though I guess I would prefer to use the option you already mentioned above. The remote ASA should not need any NAT configurations for this. Only to configure the VPN and specify the interesting traffic in the same way (though naturally mirror image of the other end)

This type of setup could also give you an option to use things like SNMP and Logging for the remote ASA through the same L2L VPN connection.

- Jouni

Thanks Jouni,

All of the regular internet traffic will be going out Outside2; I should have mentioned that earlier.

There is no need to nat since I only have one connection (the ASDM) that is permitted on Outside, all else denied.

Just to be clear, at the remote ASA, I will use "management-access Outside",

and use the Outside IP addr for interesting traffic, yes?

Also, please confirm that IPSec is more secure than SSL/TLS.

Thanks.

Hi,

You wont need command "management-access Outside" if your connecting to the remote devices external interface. The command I mentioned is needed if you want to establish a L2L VPN Connection between 2 sites and then connect to the remote device for management purposes through the L2L VPN and connect to it using its "inside" interface IP address.

I am not sure if the ASDM or SSH for example would really require VPN connection in addition to them but that is naturally your choice. After this you would essentially have an already secure connection going through an encrypted connection to the actual remote device.

- Jouni

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card