Views
Helpful
Replies

Can i upgrade ASDM without upgrading IOS

danieldpt
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all.

Im pretty new to Cisco ASA so meaby this is a stupid question :)

I have a ASA 5525 that runs a old ASDM so when i want to run ASDM i get "unable to launch manager from 10.10.10.1"

But when i downgrade my Java version i can connect without problems.

So i want to upgrade my ASDM but i dont want to upgrade the IOS.

Can this bee done without problems?

It runs
Device Manager image file, disk0:/asdm-715-100.bin

Thanks.

Regards Daniel

15 Replies 15

Aditya Ganjoo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Daniel,

Yes you do not require to upgrade the ASA IOS for ASDM upgrade.

ASDM upgrade does not even need a reload so you should be good to go.

Regards,

Aditya

Please rate helpful posts and mark correct answers.

Hi Aditya.

Thanks for the quick reply it is very welcome :)

Are you sure that it does not require a reload?

If i look here

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa93/upgrade/upgrade93.html#28934

"Step 10 Choose Tools > System Reload to reload the ASA."

Is there a limited what version i can upgrade it to?

Regards Daniel and thanks

Hi Daniel,

No it  does not require a reload.

Just upload the ASDM image to the ASA's flash.

And then use the command asdm image disk0:/<asdm-new-image.bin>

Run show run asdm.

Check the ASDM connectivity now and it will use the new image.

Regards,

Aditya

Hi Aditya.

Okay that sound good.

Is there a easy way to see what new ASDM version there is for this ASA? The download section is a complete nightmare.

I just tryed the tool-> see for updates in ASDM (with old java) and when i login it fails meaby wroung credientals :)

Hi Daniel,

You can go to cisco.com for the latest ASDM update.

Here is the link:

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=284143129&flowid=31543&softwareid=280775064&release=7.6.2&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

You can download the ASDM 7.6.2 image and upload to the ASA.

Regards,

Aditya

Thanks man :)

That sound great! Do you meaby have a easy guide to upload the image from my pc? :)

Yes, click on the tools tab on ASDM and select file management.

Now click on file transfer between local PC and flash.

Select your PC location where you have stored the new ASDM image and then copy it to the flash.

Attached is the screenshot for your reference.

Regards,

Aditya

That is so nice! Thanks so mutch.

I will give it a try on another ASA 5505 (Less important). But does it use the same ASDM version?

i runs now

disk0:/asdm-732.bin

EDIT:

Ahh okay if im the right place it uses the same ASDM :)

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=280582808&flowid=4377&softwareid=280775064&release=7.6.2&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

Thank!

Hi Daniel,

Yes you are correct.

Please close the thread if your query has been resolved.

Regards,

Aditya

Hi, I am also having this issue with the 5525 but I am not able to download the software without a contract - is this correct ?

Thanks,

Tom

Tom

Unfortunately it is correct that to download software from the Cisco site that you need a contract, and that includes ASDM.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

For anyone trying this and believing that it will work: be careful.  When I did the commands above the http now shows:

The flash device is in use by another task.
HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2019 12:49:28 UTC
Connection: close
Content-Type: text/html

<HEAD><TITLE>404 Not Found</TITLE></HEAD><BODY BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF><H1>404 Not Found</H1>The requested URL /admin/public/index.html was not found on this server. </BODY> 

I've tried reverting back to the old version and it's still the same. There are no asdm sessions stuck, i tried disabling and reenabling the http service, to no avail.

I believe I will now have to reboot to correct this issue.

Sorry that you are having a problem. I am not clear which commands you are talking about. Is it the commands to transfer the new ASDM from the PC hard drive to the ASA? I have used those commands multiple times and have not had a problem about it. 

Did you reload the ASA? And if so did it fix the problem? From the error messages I am not clear what exactly the problem is but I wonder if there is a mismatch between the configured value of ASDM and what is on your disk. Would you use show run asdm to find the configured value. And then would you check to verify that this name is a valid ASDM file on your disk?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi, I should have been more clear. I was simply following the asdm image disk0:/<asdm-new-image.bin> command to try to upgrade the ASDM without rebooting or affecting traffic. It appears as though I have run into a bug in 9.8(3)14 (bug id CSCvn76102).

"The flash device is in use by another task." error seen for "wr mem","sh ver", cannot login to ASDM
CSCvn76102
Description

Symptom:
In the browser the following message can be seen:
"The flash device is in use by another task. The flash device is in use by another task. HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found Date: Connection: close Content-Type: text/htm\"

Enabled debug HTTP 255, the output ended with the following message: " HTTP: file not found: version.prop"

Tried to save the configuration on the ASA but it showed the following error:
"38165 bytes copied in 0.180 secs
The flash device is in use by another task."

show version shows the same thing :
Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software Version 9.8(3)16
Firepower Extensible Operating System Version 2.2(2.107)

After a hard reboot customer could access ASA with ASDM but after 24hrs the issue came back.

Conditions:
Not known

Workaround:
None

So instead of a nice little seamless upgrade to the ASDM, I'm now forced to do an emergency upgrade of the ASAs tonight to get access to ASDM once again. Supposedly this is fixed in 9.8(4) versions, so i will be moving to an interim version of that one. I would caution anyone wanting to do an ASDM upgrade using 9.8(3)X.

What's even scarier is that I currently have no startup config with this bug, check this out:

ASAXXXXX/act# show startup-config
No Configuration

Also, when you go to save:

ASAXXXX/act# wr
Building configuration...
Cryptochecksum: bd9cfbf1 cfff3463 df027005 3e28ba96

577972 bytes copied in 0.820 secs

[OK]
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card