cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can We Still Buy (or ?) PIX licenses ?

mikey777
Level 1
Level 1

Title says it mostly...I have a PIX 515 or 2 that I'd like to use AES on. Just testing, in a lab. I read the post on the Net re. flipping the SN, MD5 etc, but none of my PIX's with a UR license match the procedure, none. I suspect the OP changed the post due to a little pressure, but...

6 Replies 6

Answer you can't

Thx

So a product is EOL, even 100 years old, and cisco won't GIVE US a activation key so we can run AES in a lab? That's what they used to call LAME !

Cisco will give you a virtual ASA (ASAv) for free that supports AES (and all the other modern cryptographic algorithms). The unlicensed version is limited to 100 kbps throughput; but it more than suffices for lab learning and testing.

What is a virtual ASA ? How will it help the real PIX515's I have ? Of the 10 515's I have, only 2 won't run 3des/AES anyways. I can still practice with crypto just with DES on those 2. The PIX 7.2(4) will also run ipv6 too. No dynamic ipv6 routing though.

LAME CISCO. That is lame. A product long in EOL and you can't give away upgrade activation keys ? LAME.

hi,

are you referring to the "3DES/AES" free license to isse crypto commands?

i think you can download the same 3DES/AES free license to a PIX FW. see link below.

http://ccnpsecuritywannabe.blogspot.com/2018/07/cisco-asa-3desaes-free-license.html?m=0

notice there's a hyperlink to download for PIX 3DES/AES license.

I don't have a $ contract to get support and software.

I tried the link, and it says various things, your acct is lacking info, then I go into it and it doesn't say what it's lacking. it doesn't say if it's even what I need except that every co. on the planet wants your information before they even say Hi. I also don't have 2hrs to sit in front of the worst website on the planet and try to do something that may not even result in what I'm after, which is only to activate AES/3des on 2 of the PIX515's I have. It's really not worth it.

If I were in gov't purchasing still, I would go to meetings and explain why cisco as a co., is just not worth buyign from anymore, mostly because their support has gone the drain every year for the last 20. It's time for a new leader, not Juniper as they're too specialiized, but another company, a company that wants to do not just a get-by job, but a great one. Sadly, the nation is just into greatness anymore, everyone is walkign around dazed by their smartphone.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: